Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Shhhh....there's kale in there (edited)



Yes, I lie to my children. I don't straight out lie, but I lie by omission*. Not one of them has ever asked if there is kale in the smoothies I give them. It's all good.

I'm glad I lie because, if I didn't, twoK wouldn't drink my smoothies. I learned this today when we went to Whole Foods, and they were giving out samples of smoothies and advertising putting spinach in smoothies. (The smoothies were dairy-free, but they'd added apple juice, blueberries, and spinach. It was a little sweet for my taste because I never add juice, but other than that they were pretty good.) Anyway, twoK saw the spinach bag and then adamantly refused to taste the smoothie. Sigh. I'll never tell about the Kale, though. (Unless they ask and I'm hoping they will never, ever ask.)

I'm editing to add the "recipe" for this particular smoothie, pictured above. I usually don't measure, but on Sunday, when I took this picture, I mostly measured.

Yogurt or Kefir ~1 cup
Kale ~1 1/2 cups
1 small bag of strawberries (10 oz)
Rice milk or soy milk ~1 1/2 cups
1 Banana
1 scoop of whey protein (could be soy)

I put in some water, but I didn't measure. I just put enough in to make the texture right so it could blend well. This was about 4 servings (3 girls plus MWH).



*Except for when oNe had to get stitches and if I hadn't lied we would have ended up at the hospital. I do not feel bad about this lie.

No comments: