Sunday, April 03, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Warning, very boring post ahead.

We have a cleaning crew who come and clean our house every two weeks. Yes, I loved them at first, but the honeymoon is over. I tried to break up with them, but the owner, R, pretends not to get my messages when I try and he calls to ask me what I want. Anyway, I haven't had them come clean for the last month because of the virus. With how easily it spreads, I didn't want to risk them contaminating the house with the virus if they didn't do "proper" cleaning (see sidebar for definition of proper cleaning).

[Sidebar: I'm pretty darn green and prefer to clean with things like vinegar and hydrogen peroxide see previous post. However, with stomach flu, you don't mess around. You head straight to the bleach and clean with at least a 2% solution. You spray it on, you let it set for 30 seconds to 10 minutes and then wipe it down. I do it at least 3 times before I feel like the virus may be gone. That is "proper" cleaning.

We still have a week before I grant MWH and I didn't get this round of the illness, but with each day that passes, I feel our chances of getting it decrease. We're 2 weeks past the WORST of it. Woo! Hopefully, I didn't stir up any virions (a single infective virus particle) in my cleaning yesterday.]


Anyway, the cleaning crew, what do I do about them? They do an okay job of cleaning, but they do it on a regular basis. I do a spectacular job of cleaning, but I don't do it very often. Some options:

-We keep them but we 1) ask them to use our rags and cleaning supplies instead of the ones they bring and 2) I do a deep clean every couple of months and maybe ask them to skip a cleaning the week I do the cleaning, or maybe they come and clean and then I do my deep cleaning on top of their shallow cleaning.

-We don't keep them and MWH and I make a schedule and have certain rooms we clean every couple of days.

After a full day of cleaning yesterday, I'm leaning towards option 1.

I still need to organize my desk, go through the playroom, and deal with all school stuff the girls have brought home this year. I am hopeful that I can get some time this week to do that as I am short on project work at work and will need to take some vacation time. I'd rather spend my spare time thinking about the classes I may get to teach at OLU this fall and spring (still need to talk to the professor and confirm), but I need to get things organized, especially if I'm planning to teach.

The playroom will probably mostly be tackled when we are moving stuff out for the hardwood installation. Speaking of, I need to go try and call some potential installers. (Did I tell you that I found out that the person we used the last time is no longer in business?)

No comments: