Tuesday, March 01, 2011

back

Re-entry to real life is hard.

Vacation was wonderful. We stayed at a great resort. They had this awesome towel service. We could get as many towels as we wanted each day and take them to the beach and get them all sandy, 'cause that's what happens at the beach, and then they'd take them back and clean them. Absolutely awesome. The resort was kind of on the pricey side of things and MWH thinks that perhaps we should just go buy a LOT of towels at Costco when we arrive and was them ourselves at a different condo. We'll see. We used about 8-10 towels a day... Maybe more. That's a LOT of towels.

What else...? I met a woman at the resort who also works 1/2 time. I meet so very few people who work 1/2 time. I'm so lucky to be able to both work and get more than just a couple of hours with the girls each day, but working 1/2 time in a job like I have has its own special challenges. I don't complain because I know I am lucky, but when you find someone who is just like yourself, you can take a moment and share frustrations. It was nice. I could discuss things with her and she understood. I understood her too. A peep! I found a peep!

What else? We spent lots of time in the ocean and oNe ended up cutting her foot on the coral reef. It was gashed pretty wide open, not too deep, but I took one look at it and said, she needs stitches. Yup.... she got four. She screamed and yelled and I had to deceive her to get the stitches into her--if I hadn't have lied, we would have had to go to the hospital and had her sedated. Instead, the doctor and I told her he needed to numb it and clean it. I blocked her view and he stitched her while saying how he was pulling out bits of sand.

I felt a leeeeeetle bad about lying, but NO WAY was I going to the hospital because my 9-year-old couldn't hold still for stitches. She just didn't want them. I didn't want her to need them, but since she was cut, she needed them. She is old enough to understand and be rational. Since she wasn't being rational, I lied. Note to self: next time we go to Hawaii, or any place with an ocean, we buy the ocean shoes. Cheap $12 shoes would have prevented that injury. Sigh.

What else? oNe's cat had to go to the vet while we were out of town. That's almost a blog post in and of itself... The cat sitter put him in a cardboard carrier and he CHEWED THROUGH IT. He's not a big oaf-y dog, he's a little cat. I was on the phone with her when she was in the car with him after he'd chewed through, and I was so worried that he was going to get out of her car and run away when she opened the door. How could I ever explain that to oNe?????

Luckily, somehow, she got out and went in and had a vet tech help her. He has to go back for a re-check on Sunday, but hopefully he's all better. He has a condition that causes him to be very susceptible to sinus infections. Poor little guy. This is the first time he's been sick in a couple of years. I feel good that we're managing the condition pretty well, but I can't help but think that this round of infection was partly caused by the adoption of twoK's kitty and the stress that he experienced.

Overall, I think it's great to have two kitties and I think oNe's cat will love having a kitty friend. He's already playing a lot with twoK's cat, but I can't quite decide whether they like each other, or not. I think they do like each other, but some of their playing is VERY rough.

Okay, enough rambling for now... Nitey-nite.

No comments: