Monday, August 31, 2009

Where do you want to be in 5 years?

Whoa... I missed my fourth blogoversary. It looks like I missed it last year too. Oops. The problem with the blogoversary is that it's so close to Three-a's birthday. This year, the problem was that EVERYONE got sick right after Three-a's birthday.

Anyway, back to the question in the blitle. I always hated that questions on graduate school applications. They were usually phrased as: Five years after completing your Ph.D., where do you want to be, and what type of research do you want to be doing?

Mostly, I had no idea, and now, still, I'm not sure. Some things never change! I don't plan to "quit my day job," but I do want to think about a few other things. Fortunately, my supervisor is the coolest and she likes to think about other things too. As long as my day job lets me keep working 1/2 time, it'll all be good.

So here's what I'm thinking about... Bet you're not surprised by the next few paragraphs.

1. Get certified for Zumba. I'm teaching dance/aerobics in oNe and twoK's classes (for sure oNe's and maybe twoK's). I want to help the girls make exercise and dance a big part of their lives. I'm still a little scared to get certified for Zumba. I wrote about my dilemma about certification here. I think I am leaning towards getting certified. I'll never be S____ but I do think I could teach kids and I think I could be very good at it. I think it would be a blast.

2. Get my thoughts around nutrition and food organized. Maybe take nutrition classes? Maybe try to write something about food? Maybe change focus of this blog to food? Start a new blog? I'm not sure. For now, I'll just write about food/nutrition here. (I'll keep writing about the girls here, though I write about them less here and record many of the memories on the other blog).

I rationalize it's okay to write about food here because my interest in food and nutrition grew after the girls were born. (I started all of them off with the best food (breast milk!) exclusively for 6 months. oNe nursed for 15 months and twoK and Three-a for 3 years each.) After they started solid foods, I wanted to feed them the best foods! I knew some good foods, but I also had many questions about "the best diet." I still do. The three little girls definitely inspired me to learn more about healthy foods, but I still have a lot to learn.

Who knows where these two interests will lead, or if they will lead anywhere other than the benefit of my girls (and MWH and me). I'll probably be talking about these two topics more and more. Hope you don't mind. I'd love to have you stay around for the journey and see where we go. Happy Belated Blogoversary to me.

1 comment:

PS said...

I think those are great goals. I'd like more fitness/health to be part of my future too (and helping others with it). We can keep our day jobs part time a little longer and slowly transition... :)