Friday, December 19, 2008

Because I rock?

Heh. Title is tongue-in-cheek.

Today was oNe's holiday party at school. All morning long I kept wondering, "Am I supposed to bring something?" I kept trying to remember if I'd signed up for anything today. As I searched my memory, I kept coming up with the answer of no, I haven't signed up for anything and I don't need to bring anything.

I must have thought about if I needed to bring anything 20 or 30 times between the hours of 9 am and 11:30 am. Then, I took twoK and Three-a to Tar*get and got gift cards for all the teachers and a present for our next door neighbor's little girl. I got twoK and Three-a to preschool on time.

Next, I ran to the grocery store. I got a lot of food. I started planning dinner for 12/25 (and 12/23 & 24 for when we have visitors). At the store, I remembered I needed to grab Three-a's preschool application for next year to keep this from happening again.

I took grocery's home from the grocery store, put them away, grabbed Three-a's application, and headed for oNe's holiday party. I was just patting myself on the back for getting so much done today. Also, I was congratulating myself on looking like I was only going to be 2-3 minutes late for the start of the holiday party at oNe's school.

Woo! I was proud. I rock!

Then, before I'd had time to stop feeling like a Mommy/domestic-goddess (see above), I remembered what I was supposed to bring for the holiday party.

Crap. No longer do I rock.

The holiday party starts in 1 minute and now I have to run to the grocery store AGAIN. Fortunately, there is a store very close to oNe's school. I run in, get the what I need for the party, and make it to the holiday party only 11 minutes late. Since I'm late, I'm crossing my fingers that they aren't doing the activity that they need my ingredient for first.

I walk in to the party and they are doing the *other* holiday party activity! Whew! Thank goodness.

The most organized Mom, who helped plan the party, catches me as soon as I walk in the door. I think she would like to see me NOT have my ingredient. The first thing she says to me is, "Did you bring YOUR INGREDIENT?" "Of course!" I say with a smile. " I brought MY INGREDIENT plus some of another ingredient."

As I put my ingredient on the table I thank goodness that my brain kicked in at JUST THE RIGHT moment to remember the ingredient. I can't imagine what most organized Mom would have said if I'd forgotten. Geez. I shudder at the thought of how awful she would have determined me to be.

I sense that she is always expecting someone to fall short of her standards. Another Mom (S) in the classroom has already fallen short of her standards. Poor S. I like S a lot. S is chill. S has three kids and works. S, from what little I know of her, seems like someone who will become a good friend.

I think most organized Mom is a SAHM who probably should be working. She used to work. She quit working when her child was born. She has two kids and is overwhelmed by them. I think she has really high expectations of what she wants from her kids, and kids, unlike colleagues don't always jump when you say jump. And, sometimes they jump when you don't want them to jump. For someone like most organized Mom, this probably makes her crazy.

Anyway, the point of this post was to record how I don't think I have yet lost points in most organized Mom's eyes. I'll keep you posted about what happens in the spring as I'm supposed to work with her on a project. Could be entertaining.

She seems like a nice enough woman, but she has a need to be in control. I rarely feel in control, and I'm good with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I rarely feel in control, and I'm good with that.

This is yet another area where we're so much alike. I actually revel in my lack of control. It really frees you up. ha ha ha ha