Saturday, December 20, 2008

Grades

Remind me of how much I hate grading next semester during the semester so that at the end, I won't be shocked. It's not the process of grading (although that can be tedious), but it's the putting a SCORE on the person that I dislike so much. I could go with the philosophy of, "everyone gets an A" in my course, but that doesn't seem fair when some people don't do anything and/or when they aren't getting the material.

If one person is logging in to the course on a regular basis, and thinking about things on a regular basis, they will most likely do better in the course than someone who only thinks about things every couple of weeks. Participation doesn't correlate perfectly with the ability to produce a good paper, but it does correlate significantly. For most people, they need to think about things a great deal. The subject matter of the course is difficult.

I do think when I grade, that I will go with "if they are on the border, round UP."

ROUND UP. My new mantra.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

75% was an A at my university. I had one lecturer who told us "I don't give 74%." I got 73 for his course. I think he was trying to tell me something :-)

(BTW 75% may seem low for an A but marking was expected to be correspondingly hard and no exams were multichoice.)