Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Interview with me by Nino

My dear internet friend Nino did this post. When she offered to interview people, I jumped at the chance to be interviewed by her! She sent me some great questions. So here is my interview....


1. What is the greatest lesson you will take away from your 30's?

I think one thing I have learned is how important it is to try to see the world from another's perspective.

I try to understand what the other person is thinking, and feeling before I react, but I fail miserably at doing so often. I hope that I get more patience as I get a bit older. I know I have more now than I used to have.



2. Tell me a little about your life pre-MWH?

Not nearly as good. I was 27 when I met MWH. From our first date, which was only a couple of days after the first time we really spoke, I was smitten. Life was wonderful, more colorful and full of roses!

My life was in "high change mode" when I met MWH. I was finishing graduate school and starting my career. I had been in graduate school for the previous 6 years. For me, graduate school sucked. (I wrote a little about it here.) I think most people who went to the program I went to thought it sucked. The professors were not nice people. Someday I'll write about it in more detail.

In addition to graduate school, before MWH, I was also miserable because I was dating Evil Boyfriend (TM). Evil Boyfriend broke up with me over email. What a loser, eh? Now, I'm actually glad that it happened like that. Makes a great illustration of just what a loser he was. I could give many other examples of how terrible he was, but really, I'd rather not remember. Oh, wait, I wrote about him here if you want to know a little more.

Life before grad school... College was fun. High school was fun in that teenage-angsty way that it is. Jr. High, the same as high school. Elementary school was pretty good. Preschool, yea, I enjoyed it too. Can't remember too much before that.

Mostly, I am thankful everyday that I met MWH. We are very happy.




3. What about your life B.C. (before children)?

I worked a lot. I worked about 60-80 hours a week. I love my job. It isn't that exotic or glamorous, but it does help change the world in small ways.

MWH and I hung out for about 5 years B.C. For fun, he and I took our aerobics class together, watched a lot of Sci-Fi, didn't watch Law & Order, went on dates, saw movies, drove around in our Miata (that's what we did on our honeymoon), hung with our black kitties, played on the Internet, took hikes, slept late, stayed up late, laughed a lot, and were a lot like we are now, except then we didn't chase children or spend much time at the park.

The little girls have changed our life a lot, but also, not so much. We've worked hard to maintain who we were before children. We wouldn't be happy if we hadn't.


4. Is there someone other than your husband whom you talk with every day? Besides him, who is your "go-to" person(s)?

Besides MWH and the 3 little girls, I don't think I talk to anybody every day now. I have many people I consider very important in my life, but I don't have time to talk with them every day.

    I talk to my "boss" and my closest co-worker almost every day. I've been working with him and her for almost 10 years. I am very lucky to have them in my life. They are both good and smart people. I would go to them with any problem or success I had.

    I talk with my friend DM often, but she moved abroad so the 9 hour time difference makes it hard.... We used to talk nearly everyday... I miss her!

    I talk with my friend DK a lot too, and I wish I could see her more often! She and I used to work together, and we still have a project together. I really enjoy collaborating with her and just hanging out with her!

    I talk to my parents often.

    Mary Poppins is up there too. She is obviously very important to us.

    I certainly don't talk to my brothers everyday, but if I needed them, they'd be there.

    I have lots of other people I wish I could talk with everyday. Many friends who were my "go-to" people in the past... But they all are in different places (literally and figuratively), and life has a funny way of making everyone TOO BUSY.



5. How could your life get any better? If you could change or add something, what would it be?

I am very happy, but if I could change one thing, I would give myself more time to hang out with MWH, my little girls, my family, and my friends. There is just never enough time.

If you'd like me to interview you, leave me a comment. I hope I can come up with great questions like Nino did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your answers. And YOU. Someday, my friend...we'll get our sweet little fams together. HOW DIVVY WOULD THAT BE? Seriously, you're fabulous and definitely a kindred spirit. SEE? The Internet is good for SOMETHING. lol

xxoo