Monday, September 04, 2006

Breakfast o' Champions

Whipped cream and goldfish. Yup, that's what the little girls ate this morning for breakfast. They ate some other things at home before we went out and got the whipped cream at the coffee shop, however I still feel like giving them that was a pinnacle of my mothering career.

I mentioned before that I'm not a big breakfast person. This morning we were in a hurry to get out of the house because we were going over to see a wood floor at a house. Hence the whipped cream. It's hard to motivate 3 little ones who usually sleep in until 9 and get them out of the door by 10:30.

So we got up and got going to see a floor. It's a floor that was put in by the guy we are going to have put in the wood floor at our house. We wanted to see the floor because it is not that common of a wood (at least where we live). We (MWH and I) both really liked it.

It was nice seeing it in that house because the floor was in the kitchen and the owners had gone with cherry cabinets. That is the same combination we're planning on doing. It was nice to see what the combination looked like. It's a very warm look. They also had stainless steel appliances in the kitchen (which we'll have too). The woman showed me the paint color (a blue) and it all looked good. Her cabinets were a granite looking blue/grey/dark combo. I've been thinking of something in the dark grey or blue family, so it might all work. bdx (T typed that. Her first blog effort!)


What else... We played at a park with the girls for a while and then we went to all of our favorite restaurant. Really good (organic too) Mexican food. It's described as "Innovative and inspired cuisine," but casual and fast. It is all that. Really really good and really really fast. We told the girls we were going there and K (27 months) said, "I'm thirsty for guacamole."

Tonight T held up a box that was for a toy she got as a birthday present and said "present." My husband heard her. I was shocked. She said it twice. I didn't know she knew the word. That girl is smart! Did I tell you her sign for nursing? She pounds on my chest. I'm sometimes clueless.

Today, N (4.5) and I went out and went shopping for some new clothes for her for preschool. I think this was my favorite purchase. I thought they were so cute that I bought a pair for each little girl. K may not wear them because she's such a dress girl. I showed them to her after her nap and she was still grumpy and said she didn't like them. I'll show them to her again when she's in a better mood. If she still doesn't like them, I'll take them back. That's why stores give you receipts.



What else... Oh... Our indoor cat (C) has fleas. HE NEVER GOES OUTSIDE? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? A friend of mine who has dogs (who live outdoors) said, "Ewww! Our dogs have never had fleas." I almost said, "Hahaha. If you have an outdoor dog, he's had fleas." I simply said, "Oh."

She then said, "Yes, they've had the worms, but they've never had fleas."

I bit my tongue to keep from saying, the only way to get those worms is to EAT a FLEA. Your dogs have had fleas.

This friend of mine is not that scientifically minded so I'm not sure she could have followed that logic, nor would she have believed me. She's a really nice woman and I like her a lot. I sound kind of annoyed, but she made me feel like I was dirty because our cat has fleas.

Many people with pets have this problem. It's unusual for an indoor cat, but not unheard of....Anyway, our poor cat... He's gotten a flea bath and flea treatment this weekend and we've vacuumed (all weekend) and used some herbal flea stuff on our carpet (in one room). He's not a happy kitty.

We think we caught them before it got too out of control, but not before N (4.5) got a lot of flea bites. That's how we figured it out. She is covered in bites. It's weird. I gave her Benadryl early last week because I thought she had allergic reaction. Well, she was having an allergic reaction TO THE FLEAS. This weekend, I was looking at her leg because she was still having the reaction, and I found a flea. The fleas seem to LOVE her. I guess it's because she is sweet.

She was sleeping on a mattress on the floor of her room for a while so maybe that's why she got it so bad. Anyway, despite the fleas, it was a good weekend. For some fun reading about getting rid fleas check out Berkeley Parents Network.

Last, but not least, my co-worker wants me to take her draft of the paper and put my part in it and make it all pretty by tomorrow morning. I'm trying not to laugh too hard. I'll work on it tomorrow. I might work on it a little tonight, but I'm not going to stay up all night or anything.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

Fleas like some people (like poor N) more than others. They also like some cats more than others. Maybe your cat is extra yummy.

Fleas bite people most when the cat is not easily available - e.g. if the cat sleeps on the bed during the day but not at night.

Our cat is an outside cat (inside cats are rare here) and he gets fleas (from the other local cats)and threadworms (from the things he catches) regularly if I don't dose him. He isn't dirty - he's social and doing his job.

I grew up with a cat like that too and I sucked my thumb. As a result I got worms too. Far grosser than fleas. But now there is evidence that parasites help the immune system so when my kids get worms I will try and remember that.