Saturday, August 26, 2006

Five assorted flavors

Is it bad to say that I feel a little relief? My parents are home. I very much enjoyed their visit, but it was hard. Again, MWH (my wonderful husband) wins an award for being amazing.

************


Hide-and-go-seek. N (4.5) & K (27 months) are totally playing it all the time. It is so cute to hear K count to 10 and then say, "Ready or not, here I come." When K hides in an obvious place, N pretends she can't find K. It. is. so. unbelievably. cute. around. here.

************


N (4.5) is starting to become helpful. Very very very helpful. Today she fed T (1 year) yogurt with a spoon. Again, so. unbelievably. cute. around. here. (I took video. Somday I'll get a chance to download my camera.) Then N helped me wipe T up, unbuckle her and entertain her. When T took all my pots out of the cabinet, N put them all back. Wow. I'd heard that five year olds became big helpers... If this is a preview, I'm excited!

************


I promised a post about my hair... (and I know you were all sitting around waiting for it! Heh.) I told you about Decision 2006. I'm so glad I decided I was no longer growing it. I got it cut, and at first (Friday when I got it cut), I hated it. Two days later, on Sunday, I LOVED it.

I haven't had to do anything to style it since getting it cut. I wash it and let it air dry and then I spray a little styling spray on it and sort of push it back. It's not even that short, it's just a good cut! (Errrrr, nevermind that I had to do a little trimming on it to get it exactly how I wanted it. Technically, it's a great cut. The hair stylist never does exactly what I want him to do around my face, but I can manage to do it on my own.)

When I got it trimmed, I only got about 1 inch taken off the length, but it just makes such a difference. When it is just a little longer, I feel weighed down. I think it makes my face look longer and tired. It may be silly but I feel peppy and more alive when my hair is this length.

MWH told me he liked my hair better now too. He struggled for words to explain why he liked it better. I started to poke fun at him, so he stopped, ('cause he didn't want me to blog about it) but I think he likes it because it looks more natural and easy going. (I'll just put words in his mouth.) He said it looked a little "flat" on top before. I agreed.

************


Okay, as fun as this is, I must turn my attention to working on a paper for work. I have a section due by Tuesday. I've actually started my section. I have 2 full pages written. I probably will end up with about 5-6 pages for this one section. And then another 5-6 pages for another section. I'm writing this paper with a couple of my colleagues. Our paper will turn into a book chapter.

I have been an author on about 5-10 chapters/articles that have been published in my field in the last 9 years. I'm not prolific at all (except here--heh), but I've gotten to be part of some nice papers. (I have some great co-authors.)

One of my biggest professional thrills was this summer, when I went to that conference, and I met a very influential woman in my field whom I greatly admire (JH). I told her how excited I was to meet her finally. We bonded for a moment because we have the same first name. I then told her how much I enjoyed her work. She said, "I greatly enjoy your work too." I almost fainted.

No comments: