Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Trip Report

Last week I took a business trip and took T (10.5 months) along. Since she is still nursing it made sense to me before the trip. Hindsight tells me I should have just gone down for the day on Thursday and just done a day trip rather than an overnight trip. However, if I would have done that I wouldn't have learned that T can't go with me if I have to do a business trip in August. (More on that later. And please keep your fingers crossed that I won't have to go on one in August.)

Positives of the trip....
-Got to walk around a great old downtown that is reinvigorated
-Only had one baby with me on the trip
-Got to talk with some people I have worked with and learned more about what they need
-Learned more about what I should focus on for me to make myself a better _n_____ __m_____ _a___.


Negatives
-(*&%)!&%^$%@ hotel beds

-being exhausted yet NOT ABLE TO SLEEP

-Hotel rooms and air conditioning... they always dry me out. Since I was worried about getting my husband's cold/sinus infection I was freaked.

-Being awake until 5 am not being able to sleep because of the stupid bed and because I'm stressed because of travel. I slept from midnight - 2:30 and 5:30 - 6:30. Not a lot of sleep.

-One baby with me on the trip T (10.5 months), and she can't sleep either.

-I'm frickin' numb

-saying the wrong thing to one woman at the social gathering Wednesday night. (I didn't say anything horrible, but I said something that probably showed I was confused about who she was.)

-getting an important man confused with another man. Seriously, this important man is very important and I thought he was someone else.... His name is similar to the other man. Actually there are 3 men with similar names and I couldn't place who important man was because I was confusing his name with the other two names that are similar to his.

Say one man is named Ed Smith, one is named Joe Jones and one is named Ed Jones (not their real names). My boss knows Ed Smith and Joe Jones well. Ed Jones is the famous one and my boss knows him fairly well, but not as well as Ed Smith and Joe Jones. Being sleep deprived I thought Ed Jones was Ed Smith or Joe Jones, and I greeted him all friendly-like.

I hardly explained who I was because if it had been Ed Smith or Joe Jones, either of them would have know a lot about me. But Ed Jones, he probably only barely knows my boss. It's okay because I didn't say anything stupid, and perhaps he just assumes I'm friendly, but I felt stupid because I KNEW my mistake.

I saw Ed Jones the next day after I was way friendly and I acted friendly again so I am hoping that he just thinks that I'm a friendly person. He wasn't that friendly, but he did talk with me at the second event.

-I learned what I need to focus on, but I don't know if I want to. I think I do, but I'm not sure. It takes me away from the new project I want to work on. I just don't have enough hours in the day to do it all. I want to work on the new project. I just don't have a way to get paid yet. I won't ever get to work on the new project if I don't try though.

-Did I mention that I hate the hotel chain I chose to stay at? I just figured it out that I hate them. We had one good experience at them about 3 years ago and 2 other bad ones since then. This will be the third time I haven't liked them so I don't think I'll stay with them again. Their beds are so hard.

Did I mention that I really don't like to travel? Thank goodness I don't have to for work very often!

No comments: