Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Another Encounter

Today I walked into our cafeteria at work to get some lunch. In addition to lunch, I also got an unplanned "encounter." Back in December, I got an interesting call. Today in the cafeteria, C________ (the president / CEO) came up to me at the ATM and started chatting. I almost forgot my PIN number when that happened. He has finished the book and my work and my name are in it. He said he mentioned me at least 5 times. I am flattered. He said he would email me a copy of the chapter. He said I could review it and if I had any changes I could most likely get small changes made.

I had been wondering a little what was going on with the book. I talked with C_______ at our Holiday party and he said he wanted to talk with me and work on the materials I sent him, and then I never heard from him. I didn't know whether he decided to just cut the information about my work, or if he'd re-worked it without me. I'm very glad it was the latter and not the former!

I am still nervous when he talks to me, but I am starting to get over it. I try not to just babble incoherently (what I did when I first met him back in '98 or '99. I gave him a semi-intelligent and brief update on my own plans for starting up a new area. He said it sounded great.

I went back to my office and told my supervisor about the whole exchange and we came up with an idea for me to pitch to C_________ since I seem to have his ear right now. The project he referenced in the book doesn't have a lot of funding so we're going to pitch the idea of some internal funding to C__________ to make sure that we can keep the project going without compromising our ideals. We figure it can't hurt to ask. He said no to a pitch we made in 2001 or 2002 for internal funding , but why not try again?

No comments: