Sunday, June 12, 2011

Trying new things

Tonight, I'm trying to make socca bread. For the socca, I used the 1.5 cups flour, 1.5 cups water, 1 teaspoon of salt and 4 tablespoons of oil (1 of olive, 3 of canola). It's in the oven in my really big cast iron pan. I have it at 450 and I'm hoping it's done in 30 minutes. We're starving over here!

I'm also trying a new black bean soup recipe that I sort of made up. I based it loosely on this. When I say loosely, I mean loosely! I used:

5 cans of black beans
garlic (2-3 cloves)
salt
cumin (lots...2-3 tablespoons)
jar of pureed tomatoes
puree of two red peppers (thanks to my vita mix blender)
1 large onion
1 carrot finely chopped (again thanks to my vita mix!)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cups of vegetable broth (from a box)
oregano (about 1 teaspoon)
canola oil (1-2 tablespoons, I didn't measure)

I'll let you know how it all comes out.

[Time passing.... it's now after dinner]

It was all good. twoK and Three-a loved it all. I was worried there would be too many vengetables for twoK's taste in the soup, but she didn't complain. She picked out some onions, but she did better than I've ever seen her with something new. oNe ate some of the soup but she was in a very GRUMPY mood. The mood came on for no apparent reason. I'm guessing she was low blood sugary, but she still hasn't snapped out of it. (Just to note, I'm NOT LOOKING FORWARD to puberty with its mood swings.)

Back to the soup, MWH just wondered if we should puree some black beans to thicken the soup--I think we should. The bread is interesting. It's very garbanzo-y and very savory. We'll add these two recipes to the favorite recipe tag. Woo! I love finding new recipes for the family.

No comments: