Sunday, April 03, 2011

Sunday

I love Sundays! MWH gets up and makes the girls chocolate chip pancakes and I either eat my breakfast with them or stay in the bedroom and play on the computer. This morning, I ate breakfast with them. I don't eat pancakes because 1) I don't like pancakes, and 2) he puts whey in them. I'd like to like pancakes, but I don't. I've read about tofu pancakes, and am intrigued...

Here's one recipe from Holy Cow! Vegan Recipes (I love the name of her site so much!) (am pasting the recipe in case it goes away, but click the link as she has a beautiful photo of the pancakes).

Wholegrain Tofu Pancakes

Ingredients:

Whisk together in one bowl:

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

In another bowl, mix together:

1 cup silken tofu
1/3 cup almond or soy milk
4 tbsp lemon or lime juice
2 tsp lemon or lime zest (optional)
2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together in as few strokes as possible until just mixed. The batter should be lumpy, not smooth.

Pour 1/4 cup of the batter on a hot non-stick or cast-iron griddle coated with oil. This is a very thick, almost cakey batter, so you might have to give it a nudge with your ladle to help it spread.

Cook until bubbles appear on the top of the pancake and the bottom is golden-brown. Flip over and cook until golden on the other side.

Serve hot with maple syrup or any other topping of your choice.


I'm not a big maple syrup fan--I don't like sweet really--but I'm sure these would be tasty with savory toppings. I may try them someday.

Right now, I have a big batch of steel cut oats soaking. I've heard great things about them, and I've always loved oatmeal. I'm going to do a separate post on oatmeal as this one with the recipe is kind of long.

No comments: