Friday, March 11, 2011

Back to normal

Isn't that the most we can ask for in life? I won't bore you with a long detailed post, but I will give a little information about my blood sugar. Last spring, my fasting blood sugar was a little high. I bought a blood glucose monitor and began monitoring my blood sugar. Through my monitoring, I learned that my blood sugar was slightly higher than normal a lot of the time. My doctor gave me an A1C test, a measure of long-term blood sugar control, and that came back normal. Despite a normal A1C, I was still worried about the slightly higher than normal fasting blood sugar.

To see if I could get my blood sugar to be slightly lower, I reduced my carb intake. After a few months, my fasting blood sugar was around 96-100 almost every day; this is HIGH normal. I was pleased, but I wanted more. I wanted it to go down a bit more. I tried all kinds of stuff, but NO CHANGE.

Over the last month, I've suddenly seen a 5 point drop in my blood sugar pretty much for all times of the day, including fasting. I am THRILLED, but baffled as to why. I have done a couple of different things in the last few months, but I don't know what was the cause of the decrease. 1) I upped my intake of soy protein. 2) I slightly upped my strength training each week (I would like to do more). 3) I started using cumin in my cooking again (supposed to potentially lower blood sugar, but I don't think I'm using the "right kind" of cumin. 4) I started eating more apples. 5) I lowered the fat content of my diet slightly (this shouldn't really affect blood sugar, though). 6) I've gained 3 pounds (NOT A THING THAT I LIKE OR THAT WOULD HELP). 7) Started adding a small, late night, protein-y snack. (But I did this AFTER the drop, but it seems to be important to maintaining a lower fasting level.)

So what caused the lower blood sugar? I don't know. None of those things listed above seem "significant" enough to be the cause. I *wish* I knew so I could make sure to keep on doing whatever it was that caused this drop.

For now, I'll take the lower blood sugar and not change anything I'm doing! (I like all the new changes, except the 3 pounds.) I hope I can keep this new lower normal all the time range blood sugar level! (Note: I have added back a few more carbs to my diet in the last week or so and it seems to be okay! Woo!)

No comments: