Sunday, May 23, 2010

play-by-play of an aura...

I started writing this post on 1/16/09 3:28 pm when I was having an aura. I didn't publish it because it didn't feel "done." I wanted to double check it. It's now May 23, 2010 and I just had an aura and I had an opportunity to double check this post. Today's aura started at 12:03 or so and ended about 12:27. Today's was milder and shorter than the one I wrote about. Since I was on my computer when the one today started, I thought I'd check what I wrote a year and 1/2 ago and see if it was still true. It was. Below is my description of the visual aura. The time stamps are from the aura on 1/16/09. I also discus the visual field and call 12:00 straight up and explain how the zig-zag runs from 12:00 all the way to 5:00 counter clockwise--sorry if that's confusing. I've tried to help by putting time stamps in parens (like this) and discussion of the visual field just in terms f the clock is just in the text.




I'm getting an aura.... I can't see in the center of my visual field, mostly on the right side. (3:29 pm)

ooooohhhh... the flashing lights are here. I can't really see what I'm typing. I have to try to read from the periphery. (3:32)

(3:42) the lights are getting brighter. (3:48) the lights are very bright but the central visual field is back and I can see, but my head is hurting a bit. I take advil and eat some food.

21 minutes and the flashing lights are still going. (3:50)

Feel dizzy because the lights are going in circles errr, sort of a circle. I'll try to explain.
Lights bright in the periphery... defintely the light is just on the left side. It's like a zig zaggy pattern in circles. The zig zags look like this... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It;s a a circle zig zag that gets bigger and then starts over. I guess it's important to say the circle isn't a complete circle it goes from about 12:00 to 5:00 counter clockwise in my visual field. It interferes with my concentration and my ability to see. I want to shut my eyes.

The lights are brighter at 12:00 and less bright below 9:00. I try to cover my eyes from the light, but it doesn't get dimmer. It's just there. It's very bright at 12:00. It's sort of blue in a flashy blue white way... There are some red and green zig zags too.... I cn't see where the green and red are exactly, just the blue and white, but I know the other colors are there. The first zig zags at 12:00 are blue/white.

maybe the lights are a little less bright (3:54 pm) And, now it's just at the top... from only from 12:00 to 10:00 in the visual field. The light is just white/blue.


(4:00 pm) it's pretty much gone.. the lights get dimmer an dimmer. but my head does hurt a little. Now I think I'll take some tylenol too. (You can take tylenol and advil at the same time, did you know that?)

Having an aura always makes me google auras. Now I wonder if I should be more worried.

Oooh a nice description and an explanation that my auras are always the same... I have found that to be the case. I thought they were about 15 minutes, but this one was 30.

Now, my head hurts a bit and my hands are quite numb and I'm tired.

Oh look, women who get auras with migraines are at higher risk of stroke.

Apparently I get Acephalgic Migraines. Aura, but not a severe headache, but today my head hurts worse than usual.

Hey, on that same page (link right above), it says....
Bruxism, clenching or grinding of teeth, especially at night, is a trigger for many migraineurs. A device called a nociceptive trigeminal inhibitor (NTI) takes advantage of a reflex limiting the force of clenching. It can be fitted by dentists and clips over the front teeth at night, preventing contact between the back teeth. It has a success rate similar to butterbur and co-enzyme Q10, although it has not been subjected to the same rigorous testing as the supplements. Massage therapy of the jaw area can also reduce such pain.



Geez. Do I call up my doctor? I didn't mention auras to her. I hadn't had one since end of September. Do I worry about this? I am quite sure that stress is my "trigger." What I can't remember is if I ever had an aura before the numbness caused by this.

I know there's a link between stress and my auras. I'm also pretty certain there's a link between the numbness thing I have and the aura. I can't remember if I had any aura's before the numbness. I know I've had more auras recently than in the past, but I've had more stress recently than in the past. I think I was also slightly dehydrated today. I took a new workout class today that was hard. I think I need to go take a yoga class.

Oh, hey! The headache I describe in this post was on the right side. That's where this one is too. (And the visual disturbance is always on the left.)

Just so you know, depression and malaise are common after a migraine... I am definitely feeling both right now.



Okay, end the post from January, 2009 and we're back at today. Today's aura was shorter and a little milder. My head does hurt a on the right side. Mostly, I'm just sleepy.

And finally, to complete the documentation, I had an aura over the Holiday break when we were visiting our in-laws. It was short and mild and I didn't have much of a headache. I think dehydration and emotional stress are my triggers. I was a little emotionally stressed--in a good way--yesterday. I got to see an old friend I haven't seen for a long time! It was exciting, but exciting can be stressful. Plus, I was a little dehydrated. I noticed that when I went to bed last night, but I was too tired to do anything about it.

Question: If you have auras, what do yours look like? Are they close at all to mine or completely different?

1 comment:

RUTH said...

I used to get migraines with auras in the '80s from the pot pouri with scented wood chips in it. Fortunately that stuff has gone out of fashion. Occasionally I'll hit the same smell in something else and run. The auras start before the headache and if I take paracetamol (acetaminophen for those of you who speak American) as soon as I notice the auras I usually don't get the headache. The auras themselves are shimmery, translucent silver snakes wiggling into my peripheral vision. (Snakes made of stuff a bit like Predator).

Now nearly all my migraines don't have auras, or at least not like that, I do often have a sensation that the vision in my right eye is dimmer than my left. My migraines are now often triggered by eye strain and/or dehydration and are always on the right side. So much so that if any of my loved ones see me with my hand over my right eye they tell me to take drugs.