Sunday, December 06, 2009

A friend asked....

about a laptop for her 8-year-old for Christmas.

My response is not yet. Take a look at what Common Sense Media says.

We currently have an iMac in our kitchen for the girls. They do lots with it while we're in there. It's great while I'm cooking dinner. They watch "approved" movies from YouTube on it. They visit Starfall a lot. (Most months twoK goes there and makes a calendar--she loves that. She is so organized!) This is one of their favorite sites--it's their favorite series of books.

I'm trying to get oNe to use the computer more for math flashcards, but I haven't found a site I love. (And we have a huge report due on Friday so my homework efforts have been pushed over to the report for now.) I've seen this site (like, okay) and Carrot Sticks (again, just okay).... I'm looking more for a game that does flash cards and times and isn't hard to do. I need to have oNe do them again and get her opinion... She only did them once, so maybe she'll like them better if she does them more. Suggestions?

Okay, I digressed, but it scares me to think of an 8-year-old with a computer all to him or herself that he or she can shut. Also, does an 8-year-old need all the capabilities that a laptop gives you? Probably not. Maybe some 8-year-olds would understand it and use it for good, not evil, but most wouldn't.

Let me know if you have different beliefs or great web sites that you use!

No comments: