Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Would you like some High Fructose Corn Syrup with your water?

And then I go all curmudgeon-y on you.

I just searched the blog, and apparently, I haven't written about my feelings towards High Fructose Corn Syrup. I am a little surprised. Perhaps, I didn't want to scare any one with how vehemently I despise the stuff. I gave it up somewhere around 2004. I work really hard to avoid it, and I've only knowingly consumed it on a few occasions since 2004. (We eat a lot of home-cooked meals around here so that we can avoid it.)

I don't like high fructose corn syrup in any product. I find the process for creating it SCARY. If you read about its production you'll find many words you can't pronounce. It's a 3-step process and involves high heat and lots of chemicals.

You can also scroll down and read about health effects. I think it's pretty rotten stuff; I believe it's far worse than sugar.

Anyway...


So, a good friend brought some of these, the "Roaring Water" variety, over to our house for a little shindig with the kids.

Um, really?

We don't drink much juice around here. We don't do soda. (The girls have tried Root Beer, made with sugar, once, and oNe has had Sprite one time at a party.) Sometimes, when we get all crazy, I give the girls a splash, literally just a splash of plain juice, in their water. I don't see the point of giving them all that sugar in a drink. I think they prefer to ingest sugar in other forms. We eat lots of fruit and I'm all about the whole fruit, complete with fiber, versus juice. Anyway, Capri Sun juice bags don't have High Fructose Corn Syrup... Neither do their morning products....

BUT....

The last two products do.

Good grief, why would you put High Fructose Corn Syrup, and Splenda in a water for kids? Why? Really, Kraft, why? They advertise, "No artificial flavors or colors" and "Low-calorie." You know what? Plain water is even more natural, and lower calorie. If your kid won't drink plain water, add a splash of pure juice.

I can't even believe this product exists. I'm also a little distraught over their tag line... Four ways to do Wholesome. What part of wholesome includes High Fructose Corn Syrup? Why feed kids all this junk?

4 comments:

KH said...

We have the same feelings about the stuff as you do. Robert hates it even more than I do and has eliminated everything but the ketchup, I think. What do you do for ketchup? We don't do soda either... Robert and I both like apple juice, so we drink not-from-concentrate for lunch only. For dinner we have water and water in between. I usually have a glass of orange juice at breakfast. The kids don't get the apple juice and only occasionally have the orange juice. They drink milk and water.

RUTH said...

Recently some stuff called wholewater has started being sold here. It has artificial sweetners and contains milk protein. It has caught out a couple of busy mums buying a 'healthy' drink for kids with milk allergies.

Lola Granola said...

Oh, yeah, those are the worst--it's the hidden fake sugar that really gets me. Less sugar! They shout. Lots less!
Which is because it's NOT SUGAR!

We're all milk and water here too, but much chocolate milk is consumed, so I don't know how much I have to shout about. But I hate it when they hide the artificial sweeteners.
And YOU can always talk about my blog...just not my MOTHER-in_law! EEEEEK!

JK said...

Oh... I responded to KH privately.... Our ketchup has real sugar in it, not High Fructose Corn Syrup. We don't eat ketchup very often, the girls only eat it with scrambled eggs (ew, I say), but they like it. Since it's real sugar, and we don't eat it very often, it's okay.