Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Green / Goals

I was taking a look at my 2009 goals the other day.... I know, I know, I had too many. Here's an update on one of them.


5. Work on being more green. (Yea, I use re-usable shopping bags, SIGG bottles (so I don't have to use plastic water bottles), a re-usable coffee cup, and do some other things (I should do a post about this) but I know I can do more. I need to think more about this. If you've made decisions about how to be more "green" what are they? Please post a comment if you have ideas!

(MWH tells me he can't believe with how "green" I am that I forget to turn off the lights all the time... I am embarrassed about this... Sigh. We have lights on timers and on motion detectors, so that helps, but still I should be more responsible--especially where we don't have times/detectors!)


First, in case you didn't know, SIGG is taking exchanges on bottles. I was VERY upset when I learned about this. They have BPA in the lining of older water bottles. They say their bottles don't leach BPA into the water, but heck, for the longest time they wouldn't admit they had BPA in their bottles, so I'm not convinced. (You can read more about the SIGG bottles here.)

I took my bottles back and our Whole Foods was nice enough to give a store credit for 7 Sigg water bottles. I bought 3 plain Stainless Steel water bottles. I'm just a little too upset about the SIGG thing to buy another SIGG bottle. We'll see if they can re-gain my trust.

Okay, now the new idea.

I eat a lot of pre-cooked frozen brown rice. It comes in a plastic bag. If I make my OWN rice, I'll be cutting down on packaging and plastic, and saving money to boot. You can buy a LOT more uncooked rice in a plastic bag than cooked rice. This is my new goal...dig out my rice steamer and start steaming my own brown rice. I'll try freezing some too and see if that works for emergencies. A little google search told me you can do it and that it tastes good.

I'm still thinking about other green things. I'd like to figure out how to not have to use the plastic containers at work. They say they are compostable, but work doesn't having composting... (Or maybe they do... Must look into that.) Someday, I'd like to start composting at home, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. The girls are still little. Maybe next year.

1 comment:

PS said...

That's a good goal! We make rice in our steamer a couple of times a week. If you have extra, you can freeze it and pull it out when you don't have time to steam and it's just fine!