Sunday, September 06, 2009

Blend!

Spinach











+


Watermelon and ice












=


Simple, light, frothy, delicious, nutritious, and perfect for a summer morning














I just ordered a new Vita-Mix Blender. I am very excited. I have been blending all sorts of stuff in my very cheap Osterizer blender. I've had it for about four years. We use it pretty much every other day. I put whole fruit, frozen fruit, and ice in it all the time. It takes a while, and the poor motor! You can hear it strain, and sometimes you can smell it. I've been waiting for it to blow out (or up!), but thankfully it hasn't. It's hard to clean and it leaks. I think it's earned a rest. I can't wait for the new Vita-Mix!

Before the current Osterizer, we had another blender from the 1960s. It had belonged to MWH's Mom. It also blended lots of frozen fruit and made smoothies for me. (Really amazing considering it was 30 years old, and not designed for such tasks!) It was the blender I used when I was pregnant with oNe and was making a fruit smoothie every morning*. I used yogurt, berries, peaches, bananas, and a little fruit juice. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I started adding veggies to the smoothies.



One tip on the watermelon drink, use seedless watermelon. I usually make it with seedless, but on the day I took these pictures, I made it with seeded watermelon ('cause that's what I had).
Since, I knew it was okay to eat watermelon seeds, I just blended the watermelon without removing the seeds. Big mistake! The watermelon seeds added a very sand-like quality to the drink. Ugh! I ended up having to strain the little bits out. I won't do that again! Seedless, with the little white seeds is fine! Those seeds aren't gritty.



*Someone should explain to me why I was the one who was getting up to make the fruit smoothies when I was pregnant while MWH stayed in bed. Hrm. Seems wrong, doesn't it?

No comments: