Friday, June 06, 2008

Watermelon

You know how if you're singing with a group and you don't know the words to a song, you're supposed to fake it and just sing "watermelon watermelon watermelon" and no one will notice you don't know the words.........

What does that have to do with anything... I don't know. I'm tired and stressed about work. I may post about it or I may wait until we know a little more. I've written one, but can't decide if we're in "unbloggable" territory or not.



What I wanted to post about watermelons is how N (6.4) just asked me why we can't eat the black watermelon seeds. She knows it's okay to eat the white (immature) seeds. I looked at her and said, "I don't know. Good question, let's look it up on the web and see if we can learn."

When I was little, adults told kids if they swallowed seeds a watermelon would grow in their stomach. I didn't tell N this because I didn't want to freak her out by telling her something so disturbing that would probably worry* her. As a kid, I doubted that a watermelon would grow in your stomach if you swallowed a seed, but I did worry about it a little.

You'll be happy to know that I just googled and found out it is safe to eat watermelon seeds. I told her this. They are thought to have some nutritional benefits (maybe if you chew them) or they might just pass through your system. They won't grow in your stomach.

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-101043.html

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=113119

There you go! (Maybe I can go work for Snopes.)

*She already worries too much!

No comments: