Monday, February 04, 2008

Soup for winter nights...

I made this soup last night. I've made this soup for about 10 years now. It's one of our favorites. We love to dip sourdough bread in it. It'd be good in a sour dough bowl, but those are hard to find sometimes.

I usually double or triple the recipe. It freezes really well and melting it makes a souper easy dinner (ha-ha, I am too punny, eh?). Enjoy!


Corn Chowder
1 large yukon gold potato peeled and diced (fairly small pieces)
1/4 teaspoon of sage
1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
2 cups of boiling water (salted if you like salt in things)

3 tablespoons of butter
about 1/4 cup of water
1 large onion
3 tablespoons of flour
1 and 1/4 cup of milk, (I always use nonfat milk, but you can use higher fat if you like--the original recipe called for half and half, but I couldn't do it!).

1 cup (or more depending on how much corn you like) of Frozen Corn

2 teaspoons of parsley
2 teaspoons of freeze dried chives
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg (I never stick this in)

1 and 1/2 cups of chedder cheese
3 tablespoons white cooking wine (I rarely put this in)

Boil the Potato and the first three spices (sage, cumin and bay leaf) for about 20 minutes (until the potato is tender). (DO NOT DRAIN)

In a separate pan saute the onions in the water and a little butter. Cook till all the water is gone. Then, take most of the onions out of the pan (put them in the soup), and make a roux (but don't brown it) with the 3 tablespoons of butter and flour. then add the milk and stir (forever) to make a thick white sauce.

When the white sauce is thickened--make sure it's thick*, add it to the potato/water/spice mixture (big pot!) (remember, do not drain).

Add in the corn and parsley and chives (nutmeg if you like). Make sure the corn is warm.
Stir well, then add the cheese, and let it melt and then add the wine (if you want).




*Ever since I started making this soup**, I've done this thing where I ask MWH to come "bless" the white sauce (tell me it's thick enough).

**Actually it was probably after I made it the first time and I didn't make the white sauce thick enough that I started asking him to bless it.

1 comment:

Mrs. CP said...

I still have the recipe from when you gave it to me back in 2000 and R and I love it! We just made it last week! We have it all the time! Yummy!