Sunday, October 14, 2007

Maybe someday I'll make a coherent, informative post?

But not today!

1. We had friends over today. More on that later. I'll tell you that MWH did another great quote today. He's on a roll. I'll tell you the quote when I tell you about the friends.

2. Huge identity crisis is still not quote over. I will be in at work this week, and hopefully I'll feel better after talking with my supervisor. More on that soon.

3. N3nny seems good. We spoke a bit more tonight. She'll be back Tuesday. We'll probably be hiring her officially starting next Monday. More on that later too.

4. Grading tests. If you don't count extra credit, there were 7 A grades, 8 B grades, 6 C grades, 5 D grades, and 1 F. Not bad. If you count extra credit, 13 A grades, 5 B grades, 6 C grades, 3 D grades. I feel bad for the studens who did poorly. I want them all to do well.

One of my students just didn't seem to study at all. Maybe she tried, but it just doesn't seem like it. Sigh. The thing too that is sad, I feel that it was an easy test, we went over the material until they should have been able to do it in their sleep, and still....

Three of my students surprised me and did REALLY well on the test. I expected several of my students to do well and they did, but these three surprised me. It was lovely! I was so happy as I graded their tests.

5. Update on the students who left early, I spoke to both of them... They were defensive at first.... I think I finally convinced them I wasn't mad, but I want to see that we can get time to talk about their project. Their reactions made me realize that they think most professors don't care. Most professors don't have time to care. What's more sad is the professors who don't realize they should care. I want to get to know my students. They all seem a little shocked when they finally realize this. They seem shocked when they realize I honestly want them all to do well.

I want them to learn as much as possible in my class. Not just about the subject I'm teaching, but all things related to it. Things that will generalize to their success in the real world and success in other classes. I hope they all get this but the time they leave my class.

My students seem a little shocked that I do learn their names, that I do care that they get this material, and that I do want to help. I don't like having to flunk students. If they get lower than a C they have to re-take the course. I know many students end up having to re-take this course. If only 3 of mine have to retake the course, that's a little more than 10%. That wouldn't be too bad, but I hope they all make a C or better. Some of them will have some work to do. Some of them are working their little fingers to the bone! It's exciting to see. I hope they can leave my class with a bit more love of learning than when they walked in the door.

No comments: