Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Other stuff...

Please, if you come to class, stay until the end.

Today, two of my students started to leave 15 minutes before class was over. We were in groups and I was trying to talk to all the groups about the projects. I was making my rounds. Though I wasn't talking to their group yet, they walked past me as they were leaving.

I asked if they had spent time discussing what they were supposed to discuss, and they said, "We're good."

I doubt they had mastered everything, but fine. I said, I was really hoping to talk with all the groups, and asked if they could stay. CLASS WASN'T OVER. One said, "No, I'm supposed to be at work now."

Ummmm.... excuse me.... class goes for 15 more minutes. I was so shocked.

I said something to the effect of, "Oh, well, class officially goes until _:_ _. I do expect students to stay so we can accomplish more." They kind of blew me off.

Geez. Is it me, or is that unacceptable?

1 comment:

RUTH said...

Maybe they are a student struggling to make ends meet. Maybe they don't have a lot of choice about their hours. Maybe they chose your class even though they have to leave before the end because they really, really want to do it. Maybe you want rude student more than the polite ones who stay, don't listen and don't care.