Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The least stressed person

Yesterday, my first day back from vacation, I was the least stressed person at work. Seriously. I had that post vacation glow. Today, a co-worker told me I was less glow-y and back to my usual radiant state. Heh. (At least he put it nicely.)

I don't think I'm quite as stressed as I was before vacation, but I have a big meeting on Thursday. At this meeting, I have to be an expert on something that I'm not.... (The R and K project.)

What else.... I have this problem...

I can't remember people's names.

I grew up in an area of the country where everyone was named John (sometimes exotically spelled without the h), Steve, Jason, Mike, Dave, Jenny, Jill, Kay, Cindy, or etc. Easy names. Names I knew. Now I live in an area of the country where there is much more variety in cultures and languages. I don't seem to be able to remember the names of people who are from different countries... I try really hard, but since I haven't heard the names before, I can't remember them!

I have a hard time pronouncing the names even after people have just said them. If I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where names are written, that's great, but if I have to try to sound them out... it's not pretty. I am so embarrassed by this. There was no diversity where I grew up and now it's really really really hard. Any suggestions?

On the little girl front, they are good. We went out and took a walk after dinner. It was supposed to be a short walk, but we ran into a neighbor and she invited us in and it was 10:30 before they were all in bed. Did you all hear T (22 months) scream as I tried to get her ready for bed? She was SOOOO tired she didn't want to do anything! It's hard to be almost 2 and have your schedule disrupted!

What else.... I should go work on my slides for the presentation on Thursday. I'm supposed to have my slides done by noon tomorrow....

1 comment:

RUTH said...

I find it hard to pronounce unfamiliar names. I also find it easier if I know how the name is written. If I'm introduced to people at a meeting where we're sitting around a table I'll ask "how do you spell that?" and write it down.

In a social chit chat situation I'm much better at remembering an unusual name if we talk about it "Oh, that's an interesting name. Where is it from? Is it common there? What does it mean?" As a result I can tell you that Goran means something like mountain in some language I've forgotten and isn't normally used as a name and Zoran is the common Serbian form of John.