Sunday, November 12, 2006

taking my mind off things...

I was clicking through the blogosphere, looking for distraction, and I found this...

Book Meme

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.

(Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.)


Here goes...

The "closest" book to me (in physical proximity) was (and this shows truly HOW geeky I am) Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind.

P. 123 6th-8th sentence

This in itself is a statistically significant result. (Heh DK!)
Schwartz's value study among elementary teachers produced a country-level mastery dimension that correlated significantly with MAS. Mastery combines the values ambitious, capable, choosing own goals, daring, independent, and successful, all on the positive pole.

OH MY. I am truly a geek.

Okay... The closest fiction book is Carpe Demon: Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom. It was a fun book.

P. 123 6th-8th sentence
Be afraid. Because when my master's army rises, you will be among the first to fall. And by the time he's done, you'll wish you'd died a whole lot sooner.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind sounds really interesting. I started a Certificate of Management Studies before I got pregnant and I was looking forward to the Organisational Behaviour paper which I never got to. I find cultural differences fascinating, blogging and reading blogs often makes me think about them. If you follow the link to amazon there is a review of the book by Karl Popper which is also very interesting. I want to read the book and I'll bring my grain of salt along.

I'm at work and there are no books, not one, within a short roll and arms reach. I find that kind of horrifying and embarrassing. I surround my children with books, I read books almost every day, I value books highly. But here I am at my desk and there are printouts, folders and spiral bound manuals and nothing I would deign to call a book. You can tell I’m not an academic. My father, who is, evaluates potential offices by measuring the book shelves.

To reassure myself I'll mention that I was reading Are Angels OK?: The Parallel Universes of New Zealand Writers and Scientists in bed this morning.