Sunday, November 12, 2006

The knee bone is connected to the back bone

Title is based on this song.

This morning I got up, called to get the update on my Mom, and limped around the house with stabbing pains occurring in my knee. I kept asking my husband if he thought I should go in to the doctor for my knee. He said why don't you do a web search and see what you learn.

Well, I found this page and decided that's what was probably wrong with me. I went to the urgent care clinic, and the doctor confirmed my diagnosis. Because he's an urgent care doctor, and because I have an HMO, I have to first see my primary care physician and get her to order me this.

I've had back problems for 8 years now. (I know exactly when and how the injury started. I thought I knew what was wrong with it, but maybe it might be something different.) It's kind of an exciting day to think that soon I may actually get some answers about how bad my back is soon. An MRI can tell more about what is wrong and what kind of treatment might actually help.

(Here's an MRI showing what might be wrong with my back... I hope not, but I do want to know. If it's not that, there still might be more we can do, but we need to know that it's not that (slipped / herniated disk) before we go forward with more treatment.)

***********************

My Mom... No surgery today.

Yesterday, they did a gallbladder test. They got the results today and we learned that it is basically not functioning. The surgeon decided to do surgery (not laproscopic) to remove it and then take a look around at the other organs and figure out for sure what is causing her the pain. She can't stay in the hospital on morphine forever.

Today, they did a CT scan, and didn't see anything that alarming, but that's not why they decided not to do the surgery today. They couldn't do the surgery today because they determined she is in atrial fibrillation. They need to get her "back in rhythm" before they operate. It's not surprising that she's in a-fib since she's been off all of her regular medications since she's been in the hospital.

(I don't know why they take people off of their medicines when they go in the hospital.... I mean I can understand taking her off the coumadin (blood thinner) in case she needs surgery, but I don't understand taking her off of all of her blood pressure and a-fib medicines.)

Anyway, she's been on her amiodarone (medicine for a-fib) all day and the game plan is surgery tomorrow at 10:30 am. I still feel very sad since I am not there, but today, given my back/knee pain I realized that I really couldn't be there. I could barely walk for a while, let alone fly for about 6-7 hours, change plane, carry luggage, and take care of me, and T.

It sucks... I talked to her more tonight about everything. She understands, but she is sad that I'm not there. As I said above, I am sad too.

No comments: