Monday, November 13, 2006

Surgery update

My Mom had her surgery. They removed her gallbladder and part of her colon. The surgeon thought it looked like a massive infection had caused an obstruction in the colon. He didn't think anything else looked bad in there. They are sending the tissue he cut out in for examination, but hopefully it was just an infection.

I haven't gotten to ask my brothers tons of questions yet. I have heard that the surgeon thought everything was connected back up okay. I want to make sure there was no peritonitis (I think my brothers would have heard about that). Because of my Mom's age, she's in the Surgical ICU right now. We'll know more when she's fully awake in a couple of hours.

The other question I have is when does the risk of pneumonia go down after surgery? Two or three days? When she's more up and around on her feet? They were going to be very concerned about this after surgery and keep a close eye on this. It's highly likely that she will get pneumonia. We'll just hope that they will be aggressive in watching and treating it.

Scary. Not fun.

No comments: