Wednesday, November 08, 2006

More waiting...

My Mom is in the hospital and they are trying to determine if she has an infection, or something else going on. She is in less pain because she is on good drugs now. She had a CT scan last night and it showed a "mass" on her colon. They started her on antibiotics to see if the mass will shrink. If it does shrink, then it's probably an infection.

It would be good if it shrinks.

If it doesn't shrink, they will do exploratory surgery. That would be bad.

It could be an obstruction, or a "growth".... (Growth could be many things.) Apparently one doctor on the case is thinking infection and one is thinking growth. They have taken her off of her blood thinner and are making preparations in case they have to do surgery. They can't do an MRI (which I think might provide them with more info) because of her pacemaker... (That's my understanding of it all.)

It sucks to be so far away and not get to talk with the doctors and to hear it all from my brothers or my Father.

It sucks to not be there for her. If I go there soon, it will be hard because at the very least I'll have to take T (14 months) with me. I'll be by myself (no nanny aka Mary Poppins) and in a non-child proofed house. I wouldn't be able to stay for very long without K and N though. It's hard when you're torn between generations....

I think one good thing is that she was in so much pain last night that she couldn't really process all of the information about what might be wrong. Now she's on a lot of drugs, so again, she's not worrying. I'm thankful that she is not worrying. She is a worrier. If she starts to think too much, she'll think about her sister who recently died of cancer of the colon (metastasized from undiagnosed breast cancer).

Yea, I'm trying not to think about it either. I don't have drugs distracting me though. I do have 3 very cute little girls. Last night they were being so adorable that I almost couldn't stand it. They are the good thing... I feel like I see the full-circle of life all the time in 3 generations. I know many people experience this (and have experienced it). I can't decide if I find that fact comforting or not.

1 comment:

Cat, Galloping said...

yuck, not fun is right. i'm sorry. i hope it shrinks.