Sunday, September 10, 2006

6 is cheaper than 5

Warning: Another rant.

Today we went to a big bagel chain to buy some bagels. I wanted to buy 5 bagels. I told the bagel-getter-person what I wanted. She put them in a bag for me. I went up to pay for them.

The cashier said, "Would you like to get 6 instead of 5? Half a dozen bagels are cheaper than 5."

I wanted to reply, "No, I really only want 5. YOU and the big corporation you work for are causing an obesity problem in America."

Instead, since he was the cashier, and about 16, and probably not involved in any policy making decisions in relation to the corporation, I said, "Sure, I'll take 6*." But DAMMIT this is another problem just like I covered here.

* I thought about saying, let's pretend I got 6 and charge me for 6, but only give me five because I don't actually want 6 and I'll be happy. I was nice and didn't say it because I figured it would only confuse him if I did.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

The 6 bagels incident reminds me of a story Billy Conolly tells about taking his family to [the evil] McD's. One of his daughters always wants (actually this is an old story and she is probably past this now) a fillet'o'fish happy meal. Now McD's do not do a fillet'o'fish happy meal, they do a fillet'o'fish and they do hamburger and cheeseburger happy meals but not fillet'o'fish happy meals. Billy Conolly's description of trying to convince poor hapless McD's workers all over the world that they can charge him for the fillet'o'fish AND a happy meal. Leave the burger out of the happy meal and put the fillet'o'fish in is priceless.