Sunday, July 23, 2006

It's almost 10 pm and it's still HOT

Muy Caliente! It's 84 outside and 92+ degrees upstairs inside. (It's only about 84 downstairs inside.) The heat is trapped inside. We've had the air conditioner on all day. Around 8:30 pm when the temperature outside got lower than the temperature inside we opened all the windows and turned the fans on, but it's still frickin' hot. I heard it hit 107 today. I also heard 102.

However hot it was, it was really hot yesterday and today. One online site said it's supposed to be 7 degrees cooler tomorrow (on Monday). I have seen forecasts for 91-95 degrees. By Wednesday, the forecast says it will be reasonable again (in the 80's). Right now, it's just sweltering here. It's often warm, but this is a heat wave.

Our air conditioner isn't powerful enough for the size of house on hot days. There are only about 3 weeks a year where you NEED air conditioning, and we're in the midst of them right now. There are only a few days a year that are just unbearable, so I can't complain too much, but I am.

I remember last July. We didn't have air conditioning. I was hugely pregnant. It was no fun. This year we have air conditioning, and I'm not hugely pregnant (nor even a little pregnant) and it's still NO fun. Part of the reason is that when it's hot, I get numb.

I need to take a moment to write about how numb I feel (see this about numb). I believe that it happens every summer that I feel numb, but I can't remember for sure. I'm going to write it down so I can remember next year. And so I can know that I'm not getting worse, but it just happens each time we have a heat wave.

Right now, my feet feel very prickly and it often feels like I've got a big wad of gum stuck to my foot (a weird nerve thing that causes that sensation). My hands are very numb too. My feet just feel HOT. Last night I had an ice pack sitting on them, but it still felt like the skin was on fire.

My thighs hurt and feel weak and tight at the same time. It's just not fun. I have no energy. I can't get anything done during the day because it's too hot. I know it hasn't been hot forever, but it feels like it. My husband and I are both fairly snippy. We know it's the heat, but we're trying not to talk too much so that we don't snip at each other. I am hopeful that the heat breaks tomorrow (like the forecast says).

When it's this hot, I have fantasies of just driving in my car and keeping the a/c cranked. It's just hot. It's ironic because where I grew up it was often cold in the winter and my favorite place to be in the winter there was in the car with the heater cranked.

Today, we almost went to a place where it is MUCH cooler than where we are. It's about 1.5 hours away, but today, after driving for an hour we hit major traffic and we were only about 1/2 way there... so we turned around and went to the Children's Museum in our area. It was a little cooler than our house. At least the girls were entertained. 3 little girls are hard to keep cool and entertained in a heat wave.

Tonight, I declared the upstairs of our house too damn hot. We're all sleeping downstairs. My husband and I in the guest room, T (11 months) in her portable crib in the dining room (she's not happy about this arrangement and is still crying), and N (4.5 years and K 26 months) on the air mattress in the play room/den. I hope N thinks this is fun. I hope she doesn't freak about it. Yea, we need to get them in bed, but it's just too hot!

Happy Birthday KJ. Hope it's not too hot there! Thank you for the un-birthday present! I love it. You knew I would!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome!
We had sweltering, humid heat here last week and nursing ND COPING WITH THE CRAnky children made me cry and freak out...I'd hate to be numb on top of it!