Saturday, July 22, 2006

By popular demand...

(I can say popular demand because 2/3's of my commenters have asked for the recipe. Nevermind that I only have 3 commenters. Heh.)

We discovered Tres Leche in Costa Rica in 1997. My husband and I went there when he was on a sabbatical (but he wasn't my husband yet). We had a wonderful time and someday I'll put in the notes from our trip. Costa Rica is an amazing place. My neice just returned from there (2 days ago).

Tres Leches Cake

Cake:
6 eggs, separated
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla

Sauce:
1 can (13 oz.) evaporated milk
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 can (225 grams) Crema Media (Light Cream)*

Frosting:
2 egg whites
Dash of salt
2 Tbsp. white corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
2 tsp. vanilla

Beat egg whites until peaks form.** Add sugar gradually. Add yolks; beat 3 minutes. Combine flour and baking powder; add to egg mixture alternately with milk. Add vanilla. Pour into well greased 9 X 13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 40 minutes. Pour sauce ingredients into blender; blend. Punch holes in cake with toothpick while yet warm; pour sauce over cake (after it has cooled a bit 10 or so minutes). Allow cake to cool in refrigerator before frosting.

To make frosting: mix all ingredients in the top of double boiler. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes while beating constantly. Frost cake. Keep refrigerated.

*Can be found in Mexican food store. If unable to find, the same amount of heavy whipping cream may be substituted. (Note: I've never found it. I've used half and half instead. Still plenty of fat!)

**I think the secret is to beat the egg whites really stiff.

YUM!

The cake is excellent, but the frosting is very different from the one we had in Costa Rica. I just found this variation and I think I might try this frosting next time.

1 cup Whipping cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 cup of sugar

Whip until thick. Spread over top of cake.

No comments: