Thursday, June 22, 2006

Summer Time....

It's officially summer now. I'm officially HOT.

I told you about my numbness. When it is hot, I am numb. My hands and legs are so numb right now. It's been really hot for a few days and I'm really feeling it.


On another note...
N (4) seems to be enjoying Science Camp a lot. They got to go the Children's Museum yesterday. It was her FIRST field trip. I was nervous that she'd get lost. When she was two, we were at that Children's Museum and she ran off. I turned my head for 1/10th of a second and she disappeared. I "lost" her for about 5 minutes. Scariest 5 minutes of my life. We found her playing in one of the displays, but it was scary. I was very happy with the Museum's response. They shut down all the doors so no one could leave until N was found.

Anyway, I was nervous yesterday. She went and came home. I was relieved. I always think about something a speaker told my Mother's Group when N was first born. She said something like this... (and I know that I've morphed it into a lot of what I believe over the years too so it's not exactly what she said, but it is in the spirit)

When you first have a child you are nervous because you haven't yet learned to trust them. You first learn to trust that they will eat enough, and that they will keep breathing when they are asleep. Later you learn to trust that they will not hurt themselves when they are sitting, crawling and walking. And then you learn to trust them as they go off on their own.

You are raising children who will constantly be moving away from you. You have to trust them. You can't teach them, you have to show them what you want them to know. What you believe is right. Living like you want them to live is the best teacher. You will most likely trust your second child more than your first child on most things in the beginning and you'll wonder why you were so nervous with your first.

No comments: