Monday, April 24, 2006

Feeling better mostly

I am feeling better than I was yesterday both physically and mentally. I think some of my mental funk is coming from the fact that my baby is growing up. T, is most likely (99.9999% most likely) my last baby. (Warning ... sleep stuff ahead ... It's pretty boring, but I want to remember.)

I haven't yet written about moving T (8 months) from our room to her own room. On Friday we decided, (well, my husband wanted to do it, and I finally reluctantly agreed) to move T's crib to her own room.

Friday night was a hard night. I was up and down 6 times. Not just reaching over and grabbing her out of the crib, but walking to the other room to get her or put her back. I was tired on Saturday, but it was a fun day at the park so I tried not to let it get to me.

Saturday night went a little better. I asked my husband to get up with her at least one time if she was up multiple times, because I knew I couldn't do it. I was exhausted--completely spent. He agreed.

He got her the first time she woke at 1 am. He hadn't actually gone to sleep and I was passed out. She stayed in bed with us until 4, I think, and then I put her back in her crib. Then she got up again at 6 and nursed and went right back to the crib... I think that's right. I can't remember the details now, but I know Saturday night was way better than Friday.

Last night (Sunday), she went to bed around 10 pm. Then I got her and nursed her around midnight before I went to bed. I was hoping this would keep her sleeping until 4 or so. She cried around 2 am, I think, and my husband woke me up to go get her. I said, "I don't think she's hungry, let's give her a minute." I don't think she cried for more than 20 more seconds. Sometimes it is good to wait!

If I remember correctly (things that happen in the middle of the night are always fuzzy), she went back to sleep until 4 ish and then I brought her into our bed until 6 ish and then put her back in her crib and then........ everyone in the house slept until after 9:30. AMAZING! WONDERFUL! For the first time in a long time I didn't feel like I'd been hit by a large Mack truck when I got up.

Who knows what tonight will bring. Hopefully we're reaching a point when she will sleep through the night on a regular basis. I know I need to get her used to not eating at night. I've been letting her get away with nursing whenever she wants at night for a lot longer than I let the other two, but she is 99.9999% most likely my last baby, so she does get to get away with things the others didn't.

My baby! She's growing... She is getting so big. It's wonderful that she's growing and doing what she's supposed to be doing, but I am sad that I won't have a baby again. That's part of the funk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always say that sleep deprivation is one of the toughest parts of parenting (so far anyway, haven't dealt with teenagers yet!)! I hope T is starting to "get it" and sleeping better at night for you. Definitely let her fuss a little bit. She needs to learn to soothe herself---harder for her to do now since she hasn't had to do it yet, but I can totally appreciate the fact that she's the "last baby" and why not give in to her a little more, knowing that she won't be a baby forever. They do grow up WAY TOO FAST!! Good luck!