Thursday, January 05, 2006

Complicated...

I used to have this co-worker who had a very "complicated" life. Whenever I tried to schedule a meeting with her it was always, well, I could meet at this time, but it's complicated because... and she'd launch into a ten minute explanation of her kids' swimming, baseball, school, and her fitness class schedule.

I don't think I could have cared less. All I wanted to do was schedule a damn meeting. Nevermind that we could have just had 1/2 of the meeting we needed to have in the time she just wasted explaining when she couldn't meet and why... but I digress. I would guess that my life is now as complicated, or more complicated than hers was, but I try not to make my colleagues listen to me ramble about what is happening when. I know that they don't care! (Nor should they!)

Our lives are complicated because of 3 little girls and 3 houses... Long story short... We bought a little house in a great location with a lot of potential 5 years ago. Since we bought it, we have been working towards a remodel of it, but we had some issues with getting permits to do the remodel. We moved out of it in September because it was too small for a family of 5. (It would have exploded from the pressure of all the toys and baby equipment!) We moved into a rental house because we weren't sure whether we'd remodel our old house or buy a new one. As we were moving, we finally cleared all the hurdles to do the remodel, but, about 1 day after we moved into the rental house, we found another house that we liked. About 3 weeks later we decided to place an offer on that other house. About 1 month after we place the offer we own this new large house.

You with me so far? We have our old house, our new house, and the rental house. Too many houses. Our old house is now on the market. (Know any one who wants a great little house in a lovely, peaceful location? We have the permits for the remodel too! And we have the plans. It's really a nice house and a great remodel! I'm sad that we won't be there to see it happen.)

We'll now be in the rental house until the new house gets remodeled. The remodel will start in March and end in June (theoretically). (The permitting process is much easier where the new house is and we're not adding on or doing anything structural so it will be easier than remodeling our old house.) I know that our life will get a lot more complicated during the remodel before it gets simpler. I'm sure I'll be talking more about the remodel since we're about to get started on it.

No comments: