Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Why Moms are such saps

We just got home from N's preschool holiday program. It was cute. She was cute. Even though she refused to wear the brown shirt she was supposed to wear she was cute. She also refused to wear a little red smudge of lipstick on her nose. Oh-well. She's my non-conformist and I'm ok with that. (Sometimes I'm not, but I try to remind myself that it's good that she has her own mind and doesn't just do what everyone is doing. Questioning authority is a good skill to have in life. I'm glad (mostly) that she already has it.)

Anyway, they did the usual songs

-Up on the housetop
-You put your antlers in (Hokey Pokey with a Christmas flavor)
-Somebody loves
-Once there was a snowman
-Jingle Bells
-We Wish you a Merry Christmas

When they got to Jingle Bellls, they each had little bells to shake. She was so excited. She had this expression of pride and joy on her face like she was the first little girl to shake bells to the song. All the kids in the class looked like they were so clever to have thought of this. The collective joy on stage was amazing.

My eyes filled with tears.

I'm serious. I was so proud and happy for her that my eyes filled with tears. I never in a million years expected that I would have tears in my eyes during her little holiday show. I know this is just one of the many things she'll experience in life that will bring her so much joy, and I'm so excited to see them all in the future. Like the billions of moms that have gone before me, I am a sap.

No comments: