Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Nights with T

T and I co-sleep. She's in the middle of our very wide and very comfy king bed. My husband and I don't give each other presents, we decide on something for the two of us. Our bed was our Christmas present to ourselves last year. It is the world's most comfortable bed. Seriously. I love that bed. It came with a 100 day trial period and he was thinking that we maybe should trade it in and get a different one. I told him he was welcome to get a different bed as long as I could keep that one. Now he loves the bed too. But I digress....

T sleeps snuggled up next to me. She is my little heat-seeking baby missile. (I used to have a heat-seeking kitty missile, who snuggled with me every night, but he left this existance in February. Now I have T to snuggle with at night. I wish I had both my kitty and T, but alas.) Again, I digress...

T falls asleep for the night either when I do or an hour or so earlier. (That means she's up till 10:30 or 11 pm usually.) She loves to snuggle. If I'm not ready to stay in bed when she falls asleep, she gets upset and often wakes. All night long we snuggle. I usually hear her stirring and complaining around 4:30 am. I wake up enough to put a boob in her general direction. She usually refuses. I then offer her my pinkie or help her get her thumb in her mouth.

We then sleep again till about 6:30 or 7 when she does wake up enough to eat. She eats and I sleep and she goes back to sleep. We then sleep till Miss K (18 months) wakes up. Miss K was waking up at 7:30 in August/September. Then it switched to between 8 and 8:30 and we rejoiced. After the time change it switched to earlier again and we were sad. Now she's sleeping till 8:30 or 9. We are dancing in the street.

I am so lucky that T is such a wonderful sleeper. We have been doing this routine for a while... It used to start later (around 1 or 1:30 am) but she was always a good sleeper. She'd wake up more in the night and nurse more, but I slept through almost all of it (I'd help her get latched on in the beginning, but she'd take it from there...).

Anyway, this is a very boring post, but necessary to record. We know we're very very lucky with what a great sleeper T is. No complaints at all. I did work in the beginning to help insure we got her sleeping at night, but it was so worth it. My philosophy is start teaching them that night is night at the very very beginning--even in the hospital. I did this with K and it worked great. I didn't do this with N and it took a little longer. Someday I'll write more about sleep.

No comments: