Wednesday, December 28, 2016

One of our kitties...

On Halloween, one of our beautiful black kitties was diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma.   We'll call him Tall Handsome Boy or THB for short.  Here's what I shared with a friend in FB.  This blog may be resurrected after all... look, 2 posts in a as many days!  I want to remember some things and I don't want to put them on my other blogs.

THB has intestinal lymphoma (the slow growing kind)... Apparently it's really common in cats. He's going to be on prednisone 2x a day and chlorambucil (low dose) 3 x a week for a long time (up to two years). So far, it's been 2 months of treatment. After the first month and 1 week we got good blood results. We go back in another couple of weeks and have another blood draw. The good news is we don't have to take THB in and we give him the pills at home.  He doesn't hate them too much.  I've known some cats who HATE pills and the treatment would be awful for them.


In addition, THB seems to be tolerating the meds e.g., no throwing up and eating pretty well. His energy is about 85-95% of normal on most days. Today he seems pretty perky and I'd put him at 95%. (Last week we had a day when he was really draggy and I was worried, but he bounced back the next day.) I'm hoping that as the treatment goes on we'll have less low energy days. I can't complain though 'cause the really draggy days haven't been very frequent and I think (and hope) we are on positive trend for his energy and eating.

No comments: