Sunday, May 26, 2013

Reframing

While waiting for my teeth cleaning, I flipped through a magazine for Moms. I don't usually have the opportunity to look at these magazines, but today I did; I skimmed an article about sensitive children. I have a sensitive child. I think the article helped me understand her a little better.

The article discussed how mothers often try to change their sensitive children; they try to toughen them up (um, guilty). It also discussed how you can't really make someone unsensitive. The article suggested that rather than trying to change your sensitive child, you accept they are different and try to support what they need. It suggested thinking of some children like dandelions who will thrive wherever and in any environment, but some children, the sensitive ones, are more like orchids. Orchids take a very special environment since they are delicate flowers; however, they offer a lot to the world when they are encouraged to thrive.

This is a very helpful perspective, indeed. I'm trying to work with my sensitive one, but she's a challenge. Not only is she sensitive, she is stubborn. It's only been a couple of days, but whatever I do is wrong, it seems. I've been telling her I want to help her, but I need her to help me help her. I'll let you know if I figure out any strategies that work.

No comments: