Saturday, November 19, 2011

Quick and Easy Black Beans...

My recipe for made-from-scratch is here.  I started making my black beans from scratch and did for about 6 months because I didn't want to get black beans in BPA-lined cans.  When I found organic black beans in BPA-free cans, I sort of stopped making black beans from scratch because it is easier to buy them mostly cooked.

I like making things from scratch, but it's been so crazy around here that it's been hard to even cook much.    (I wish I had the time to do the from scratch thing, but I just don't.) In the spirit of the season, I'll say I'm very thankful for canned black beans!  We're eating lots of them. I thought I'd share what I do with the canned ones to make them taste SUPER YUM!

It's quick!  It's easy! Everyone in our family will eat them!

I use 3 cans (and it usually gives us almost 2 meals for all of us).  I put in 1 - 2 Tablespoons of ground cumin, ~1 teaspoon of salt, and garlic.  Note, I tend to go light on the garlic, but season as you like.  You can use 1 teeny clove to 3 big cloves or if you're using dried and minced use 1/4 teaspoon to ~1 teaspoon.

Bring to a boil and then turn down simmer for 15-20 minutes.  (Note, you can just boil them for 10 minutes and they are good, but they do get tastier the longer you can let them simmer.)

I serve these so many ways:
with brown rice
in a tortilla wrap
in a bowl
in a bowl mashed up (the girls LOVE them this way)
with salsa
with kale
with salsa and kale
with salsa and kale in a wrap
with broccoli
with broccoli in a wrap
with broccoli and salsa in a wrap
with spinach....I think you get the idea.

Beans and veggies are delicious and nutritious!  Add a little carb if you like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me to try a black bean recipe today! I found one for stuffed red peppers (with mushroom, onion, black bean, tomato sauce, etc.) in Vegan with a Vengeance :)
- PS