Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Last week off

We're in our final days before school starts. I'm sad as I love the flexibility in the summer, but I do need more time at work, so it will be good for me.

On another note, I started a post yesterday and it DISAPPEARED ON ME. It was witty, and poignant; I'm not happy. Alas. Here's some of it, not written nearly as well, and some other stuff*.

Yesterday, oNe did a "Mother's Helper Gig." She did a great job. I can't believe my first born is old enough to help little kids. She got paid for it, too. She decided she wanted to donate the money she made to a foundation researching the disease that twoK's kitty had. Yes, I am proud. No, I don't feel worthy to be her mother. But then, she gets loud and sassy and I realize that she does still NEED me. :-)

We're cleaning out the guest room in honor of my brother's visit (tomorrow!). MWH took 6+ bags to donate morning. As I was packing up the things I'd stowed in there, I decided to keep "the dress that started it all." This was a dress I wore on one of my first dates with MWH. The dress was slightly low-cut and loose around the top so MWH enjoyed his view during our dinner. This dress inspired him to want to get to know me, ehem, a little better.

I don't love the dress, I'm not sure why I wore it on one of our first dates, and I haven't worn it in years, but he and I were both feeling sentimental about that dress, so I kept it. If I don't wear it on or near our anniversary this year, I'll need to give it away. It gets a second chance, for now.

I'm working to get to know my students for this year better. They are going to be GREAT. I'm embracing them and all they will bring to the class.

In completely different news, we're getting a hardwood floor put in on our first level of the house. We're getting rid of our UGLY carpet. I.am.so.excited! I got an email that our wood is going to be delivered in this month!! I'm not trying to be vague, I just got a cryptic message from the place where we ordered the wood that said they expect the wood to be leaving the warehouse between 8/18 and 8/24. We'll have it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I imagine, the process of getting the wood installed will be painful; we'll be restricted to only one level of our house for ~3-6 weeks. Deep sigh, it will be worth it.

I say 3-6 weeks because after the wood is installed, it has to sit on the floor for 2 weeks before it gets sanded and finished. The sanding and finishing process will take 3-4 days. Our floor guy only works nights and weekends, 'cause he has a different day job, so it could drag out a little. I'm hoping it will occur and be done in October, but we'll see.

We'll move the girls' beds upstairs, and some of the toys and we'll hope we can get this done quickly and while the weather is still nice. I view the time when we're out of the first floor as an opportunity for cleaning and tossing, too. By the end of this year, I could have a much less cluttered house! Woo!

In the last 2 days, I've been getting the girls' brains going again. We've been doing math. I printed off lots of worksheets. oNe needs to really memorize her multiplication tables and remember how to re-group. twoK HATES math... she drags her feet and it's really sad. She's not bad, but she is not motivated at all.

What else... There's lots more about summer that I'd like to say, but I should get back to work. I have a babysitter for 4 hours and I should be productive.








*Heh

No comments: