Thursday, April 28, 2011

A crazy day

Yesterday, in the midst of all the insanity with twoK's kitty, we discovered twoK had a rash/bug bites on her stomach. I was worried it could be chicken pox. This morning, they were still there but it didn't look like there were more. She went to school. I was there volunteering and I asked her teacher what she thought and she didn't think they looked like pox, but then we showed other teachers at school, and discussed it with them and most of them said, "It kind of looks like chicken pox."

I have never had chicken pox so I wouldn't know. I have never had chicken pox so I am susceptible, too. After a flurry of calls, I got an appointment for twoK to be seen by the doctor and also lined up getting the vaccination for oNe, Three-a, and me if twoK was confirmed to have chicken pox.


[Sidebar: The vaccination can be administered to those who have no immunity to chicken pox after exposure and will help modify or prevent the disease. From the CDC website (scroll way down).

Or, here's the information pasted:

If a person who has never had chickenpox or the vaccine comes into close contact with someone with chickenpox, could receiving the vaccine now prevent this person from getting chickenpox?
For healthy adolescents and adults (persons aged 13 years and older) without evidence of immunity, varicella vaccination within 3-5 days of exposure to rash is beneficial in preventing or modifying chickenpox. Studies have shown that vaccination administered within 3 days of exposure to rash is greater than or equal to 90% effective in preventing varicella while vaccination within 5 days of exposure to rash is approximately 70% effective in preventing varicella and 100% effective in modifying severe disease. Anyone who comes into close contact with a person with chickenpox and has not had chickenpox or the vaccine, should contact their health-care provider for vaccination.]


At approximately 3:45 pm, after the doctor examined twoK, the doctor declared that twoK most likely is pox-free! Wooooo! She said, she can't say for sure, but she didn't think they were chicken pox. Thank goodness for one positive thing. I didn't get vaccinations for the girls (oNe and Three-a), but I still have my appointment for one at 8:15. I'll cancel in the morning if twoK does't have new red marks. (The adult vaccination place said I could cancel up until the last minute.)

I'm still very stressed and sad about twoK's kitty. He is a sick boy. It is so unfair.

No comments: