Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Home sweet home

We got home last night. No delays on our return flight, thank goodness! The flight left late in the day and got us home around 11:30. The girls were in bed by midnight-ish. Now, today, lots o' laundry.

One year, MWH and I traveled to see my family, we were newly married and had no kids, and we got delayed for 9 hours at the airport where we connect for the final leg of the journey. (It's unfortunate that there are NO direct flights to where my family lives.) It was a long 9 hours. I felt so sorry for this family who had a little baby with them. I couldn't even imagine how awful it was for them.

On the way home, on that same trip, we got delayed AGAIN for about 9 hours in that airport again. We finally got on a plane that took us to an airport about 3 hours away because it was going to be an even LONGER delay if we hadn't. (Good times on U*n*ited. And yet, we continue to fly them--yes our flight was on them this time when we were delayed too.)

Okay, back to the current trip, um, I'll list brief high lights and low lights.

0. The girls are GREAT travelers and flights are so easy with them (ages almost 5, 6 and 8). As much as we dislike airlines and travel, they are a delight! (BIG high light!!!!)

1. Seeing the extended family was fun, but made our VERY short trip insane. It is also a little odd to be with people who you are related to but have NOTHING else in common with them. Lots of taboo topics. (You pick, high light or low light?)

2. Seeing my brothers (only 2 this trip) is always good. I like them. I got to see my niece too. I love her to pieces, and usually love visiting with her (we had one not so good visit a few years back, and I blogged about it, but am not linking to it), but on this trip it was great fun to see her. (high light)

3. Swimming for the girls was fun. They got me to jump off the side of the pool with them in the deep end... It was a little silly with all four of us standing there saying "1, 2, 3" and then jumping, but definitely a high light.

4. My Mom... She wanted us to come for the family reunion. However, the family reunion made it difficult to spend any quality time with her. Alas, I left feeling like she felt short-changed by the visit. She was a little testy with me the night before our last night.

I know she is frustrated that I don't live there, and her frustration stymies her and makes it difficult for her to communicate her feelings, and she ends up saying little things that ANNOY ME TO NO END. I should be the grown up and ignore them, and mostly I do, but they still echo in my ears and weigh me down.

Perhaps, I'll try to plan a trip back to see her with just one of the girls later this fall. (Right now, I have no desire to travel ANYWHERE for a LONG while. Thank goodness, the trip I almost had to go on in August for work is happening without me!!!!!)



There's probably more, but I should get back to work... I have 2 phone meetings and no nanny--she's on vacation this week. (You ask, why she couldn't take off the same week as we did and I say, good question!!! I am a little annoyed, but whatevs.)

No comments: