Thursday, July 08, 2010

Adventures

If you think you might be bored by a post about planes and delays, scroll down and admire our lovely beach picture. As soon as I get a chance I'll re-do the blog to make it a permanent (at least for summer) part of the blog.

We got to the airport in time for our flight and discovered that it was delayed. Its delay meant we wouldn't make our connecting flight. We could 1) take a flight at 7:30 am the next morning, 2) take one at 11:30 or 3) take one even later in the afternoon. Since we already were on a short trip, I wanted to get us in as early as possible; if we took the 11:30 am we'd get in at almost 8 pm. If we took the 7:30 am one, well, we'd get there earlier, but we'd be MISERABLE.

Oh, what to do.


We felt like leaving the airport and going home was pretty anticlimactic, so we opted for option #4. The savvy reader will have noticed that I only presented three options above. The savvy reader is most likely on the edge of his or her seat wondering what out-of-the-box option we created.

Here's what we did. We took the plane to the city with the connecting flight (even though we knew we couldn't catch the flight) and got a hotel room. Since we're here in connecting city, we can catch the second leg of the journey as if we'd left from home on the 7:30 flight, but we don't have to get up at unholy hour. We'll get in much earlier than if we took the 11:30 am flight from home. *We'll lose 4-6 hours of time at our destination, but that's better than 8-10. We were getting in to our destination so late tonight that we weren't actually going to see any one until tomorrow morning.)

After we made the decision to go ahead and start our journey, we had to call and tell the rental car agency to delay our rental and the hotel in the final destination city. The hotel here in this middle stop was a little more than the hotel in our final destination, but we don't have to get up DAMN early, so that's priceless.

Things I forgot to pack.
-My tea. D'oh! It was even on my list. I think the chance that I'll be able to find the tea I LOVE to be pretty slim where we're going. Not zero chance, but 20% maybe.

-Floss, but MWH had some and there's a Target where we're going

-My "good" mouth guard. Somehow I grabbed my old one. While I'm bummed I have the old one, at least I have one.

-Larabars, hopefully they will have some in the place we're going.

I did remember to pack my chocolate bars....I'm trying to decide which is worse, forgetting my tea or forgetting my chocolate.

Oh, and the girls all want to play checkers with ME on the plane on my iPad. I taught oNe how to play them on our last trip and now her sisters think life isn't fair because they haven't gotten to play. I promised them I'd play with each of them sometime on the trip.

No comments: