Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Great Blog Post

Great post on breastfeeding. Though I'm done with this stage of motherhood*, I still feel very strong about the importance of it and how little our society support mothers. If I had any spare time, I'd write more, but since I don't, I'll just say a big loud, AMEN, to Jo's post. She nails it--especially the part about how little time we get for maternity leave!

Right now, I have two friends out with their first baby and in one case babies. It's a crying shame how quickly a woman has to start thinking about how to go back to work. Most women haven't even gotten their babies sleeping through the night by the time they have to go back to work. It's awful. But anyway, I digress....


Go! Read!



*I was in that stage of motherhood for 5+ years with the three girls... For me, it got a LOT easier after the first 6 months, and then easier again after a year.... And easier still when they turedn two.... I could have probably kept going without any changes after they turned 3, but that's when I said, "we're done kiddo." I loved nursing the girls. I'm so glad I was able to do it for so long.

1 comment:

RUTH said...

I'm not sure if I'm an example of a breastfeeding success or failure. On the success side I tandem breastfed my twins 'til they were 3. On the failure side I never managed to fully breastfeed, I breastmilk fed for the first couple of weeks (we topped up with my sister's donated milk) then mixed fed. I had serious supply problems.

Breastfeeding is really important and our culture often forgets it is normal behaviour.

Also whenever there is a natural disaster I worry about bottle fed babies. Bottle feeding relies so heavily on the seamless modern infrastructure of supermarkets, taps and electricity.