Friday, January 29, 2010

Zany Zucchini

I've been very into hummus lately. I started making it in October with canned garbanzo beans, and then in December, I started making it from dried beans (no BPA). We've had it a lot (maybe once a week) for the last month or so. I love it because twoK and Three-a will eat hummus and oNe will eat plain garbanzo beans so it's an easy "whole family will eat it" recipe.*

I decided to try this for a change. It was sort of green, so we know that twoK didn't like it. I got all the girls to try the new food. Three-a ate a small serving. oNe ate her bite and said it wasn't awful, but she didn't like it. twoK threw a fit about tasting it, but finally she did. She didn't like it, but I don't think she would have liked it even if it tasted liked chocolate. The green-ish color was too much for her. Sigh.

(Thank goodness she doesn't know about what I put in the fruit shakes.)

I liked the recipe, I'll make it again for a nice change, but I like regular hummus better. I made the recipe pretty much as it was on the other page, except I halved the oil, added only 2/3s of the salt, left the sesame seeds out, and added an extra zucchini. Errr, not too bad for me--remember, I can't follow a recipe.

Also, when I made it, I was scared of adding the cumin, so I didn't. Then I pulled some out and added the cumin to a small amount... Definitely ADD THE CUMIN! It's slightly bitter without the cumin. The cumin mellows and sweetens it. After I tasted the stuff with the cumin, I added cumin to the rest of the batch. Now I have a lot of hummus and "zany zucchini"** dip in my refrigerator and my belly. (I ate too much, but it was YUM!)


(My modifications)

3 zucchini, chopped
½ cup lemon juice (or approximately 3 lemons)
2/3s tsp salt
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 cup raw tahini (the Artisana brand is nice; substitute regular tahini if you need to) (I'd cut this back to 2/3s of a cup next time)
2 tbsp olive oil

*We only have a handful of recipes, if that many, that the whole family will eat. Even though oNe doesn't eat hummus, she eats chickpeas so I count it. It's my goal to expand the number of recipes that everyone will eat this year.

**I've decided Zany Zucchini is a good name for this.

No comments: