Saturday, January 23, 2010

I can't follow recipes

I don't seem to be able to follow recipes. Part of it is that I don't always have the ingredients, and part of it is that sometimes the ingredients sound gross to me. In this case, I didn't have something that spirals zucchini, and I didn't like some of the ingredients. But, I made a broccoli salad based on this recipe and it was yum.

For the veggies, I used chopped broccoli (4 small heads), zucchini (2), and red pepper (1). I was too lazy to chop up the carrots, as used in the other recipe, and I ate them instead, heh. I eat lots of raw carrots, so I don't feel too bad about not putting them in. MWH isn't crazy about carrots.

For the dressing, I used:
3 tablespoons tamari (soy sauce)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
2 pinches black pepper
2 Tablespoons of olive oil (original recipe was more, but it is good with as little as 2 tablespoons)

I made the same recipe the other day without the mustard powder, because I didn't have any, and then I got some. After re-making it with the mustard powder, I must say I think the mustard powder adds a lot of nice flavor. I'll continue to make this salad this way.

I am wanting to eat more raw foods, yup, freaky healthy on you again. I don't love raw broccoli. I love cooked broccoli, but raw, I would rather leave it. However, in this recipe, the acidic lemon sort of "cooks" and softens the broccoli.

I think it looks very pretty...even in a blurry iPhone photo!




Here's a funny picture, I accidentally hit the camera button on the iPhone while I was trying to email the photo of the salad to myself. Now you can see a picture of my computer while I was blogging this post. (Now that's a good use of internet bandwidth to send this photo and then have you all download it. I crack myself up sometimes.)



This salad is what I took for my lunch on Wednesday... I added pasta to the veggies and ate it as a pasta salad. (Yes! I took a lunch! Go me!)

If I continue to make a big salad like this on the weekend and another one midweek, it should be fairly easy to take my lunch at least once, if not all the time to work. This kind of salad can easily be eaten on noodles, rice, or tortillas. So, you'll notice I'm not going "ALL RAW" (yet), but, as I said earlier, trying to increase the raw in my diet. If you want to read about raw diets, here's one place and another place.

Go ahead and say it, she's gone totally over the edge and into freaky healthy.... Probably, but I'm just still trying to get over those blood test results I got last fall. The results are still freaking me out.

No comments: