Sunday, January 17, 2010

A guilty pleasure

I love the Kindle iPhone App and I love the free books on Amazon. It's like having access to a library in my pocket! It's so nice to have a book where EVER I am on my iPhone. Since having kids, I haven't read very many novels because I haven't had time, but now, even if I only have a few minutes, I always have a book with me. It's so convenient.

Since Christmas break, I've read:

Murder Takes The Cake [My review: A totally easy read, predictable, but fun mystery novel. I don't think I would have bought it, except at an airport, but I would definitely check it out at the library, or get others from the author.]

Mossy Creek [My review: Really nice stories about life in a small town. It made me laugh and cry. Great characters, but not the typical book I read, but I'm glad I read it.]

My Soul to Lose [My review: A young adult novel, so, um, okay, not great, but I didn't have access to buy any more books and I needed something to read. It was a very short book.]

Bloodfever [My review: The second book in the series and the only book I've paid for on the Kindle. It's hard core demon-y fun. I want the third book.]

Darkfever [My review: The first book in the series. It was a little hard to follow all the Celtic names and "traditions" at first, but the writing caused my heart to pound and kept me turning the pages. And, I bought the second book in the series. It is an odd book though and if you're not into weird vampire-y stuff, you might not like it. I don't know if it's free any more on the Kindle.]


For work I bought: Why Don't Students Like School?: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom [My review: It's got a few new ideas that I've not thought about before, but if you're a cognitive scientist, there's nothing new here. I'm not sure what teachers would think, but I thought it wasn't very informative. I'm only 3/4s through. Maybe it'll surprise me in the end, but probably not.]

Other freebies I've downloaded for the Kindle iPhone App:

Hide in Plain Sight
Southern Storm (Cape Refuge Series #2)
Cape Refuge (Cape Refuge Series #1)
Dark Pursuit
Exposure: A Novel
Midnight in Madrid
The Crossroads Cafe

No comments: