Wednesday, November 11, 2009

uber tired

Earlier this week, I found out that the piece of work I was doing, and hoping to continue doing until the end of the year, was out of money. Uh-oh. We still have a lot of work to do...It will get done, somehow. We always manage. There's lots of tricks--including staying up late or working on the weekend (for free). What I was more worried about was, what piece of work will pay me through the end of the year?

....

I put out some feelers, and I think, that I have three new small projects that will keep me in business. It'll still be a little bit of a stretch, and I don't think I'll manage to be at my "goal" for the end of the year, but I shouldn't be lower than 3% off, and my supervisor keeps reassuring me that it will be okay.

....

At work, there are many new people. It's fun to have new good people. There's a core of us who have been there forever, 10+ years. It's so weird to me that I'm an "old timer," but I am. It's fun to see the young ones. They are eager and energetic. One just got married. I guess she's between 25 and 30. She's young, but has a great perspective on life.

Anyway, thinking about all the young new folks at work made me think that I should try to remember and record some of the things I do remember from that era before I completely forget. This blog is for the 3 little girls (who are growing up WAY TOO FAST) and they may want to know someday.

So let's see....
I went to S___ after grad school with my new Ph.D. I'd worked at A____ for one year, as I finished my dissertation. A_____ was a super great year, but I love A_____. If I could go back to A_____, I would. But 1) there isn't really anything I want to do at A____ right now, and 2) I couldn't be part-time.

Oh, wait, trying to record how I thought/felt 10-12 years ago.

I remember starting my job at S___.... I was very impressed with my (former) supervisor M___ and my wonderful colleague P____, and the coolest thing was, they liked and respected me too. We had the best job then. It was 1997 and the dot com craze was happening. We were working in an emerging area. It was exciting. I worked many hours, but loved every single hour. We felt like we were making a small difference in the world and it felt great.

Bleh, I think I've written all of this before.

Meh, I'm boring even myself. I don't know what to write.

Oh dear and gentle reader, could you help me by thinking of a good question for me to answer that the girls might want to know someday...? Please?

xoxo.

No comments: