Friday, November 13, 2009

Another thing to keep me up at night...

I was excited when my friend had a new blog post up today as I love her posts, I always learn something new. However, now I am more informed about BPA and have something new to keep me up at night. Ignorance is bliss, but the side-effects are dangerous.

After the Sigg water bottle debacle, I had wondered about canned foods and their liners and whether they had BPA in them. In the back of my mind, I guessed they did, but I hadn't had a chance to google it. The answer came to me today on the Happy Healthy Librarian's blog.

They have BPA in them.... Really, why do we have to have BPA in the liner of food cans. Why? It's BAD stuff.

We don't eat that many canned foods around here, thank goodness, but we do sometimes. You can guess that I'm taking back the cans I just bought yesterday to buy glass containers of food where possible. The one food I buy a great deal of in cans is tomatoes. Guess what? Tomatoes are very acidic and they leach more BPA than other foods. Great.

I'll be taking my tomatoes back and looking for tomato sauce and tomato paste in glass jars.

Or, here's a solution..... I suppose I could just make tomato sauce from actual tomatoes and then just freeze it. I don't think I want to can my own sauce. I don't know why, but canning scares me--freezing doesn't.

Sorry for the depressing post at the start of the weekend...it's going to light a fire under me to try cooking tomatoes from scratch.

No comments: