Friday, September 11, 2009

Worst Case Scenario

I think it's EASY to immediately go to horrible scenarios... My knee, it hurts. I probably did too much in Zumba yesterday. I think there are still issues to fix. This morning, I was kind of worried and started wondering if I should stop going to Zumba and do other things. I decided, in a sad and hasty way, that my knee would NEVER be better. In a more logical frame of mind, I don't think I should give up so easily, and I do think my knee will heal more.

In the grand scheme, something that's hard to remember, I've only been in PT for 4 weeks. The doctor thought I should take 4 weeks off of Zumba and get all healed. The PT folks thought I should keep the strength up and do light Zumba after 2 weeks of rest. Doing light Zumba didn't hurt too much, but it hurt a little. I do think my knee is making progress in the grand scheme. It hurt a little after Tuesday, but it felt pretty good on Wednesday. Now, it hurts more today after the more bouncy, intense Zumba I did yesterday. I have to keep in mind that it was the first heavy Zumba I've done in about 6-8 weeks. I am weak still.

If I think back, I think my knee is a little less sore than it was when it first got hurt. I don't think we've quite addressed all the issues and I think I might need to take Zumba a little lower for a few classes and work up a little more. We'll see how quickly the pain from yesterday's class subsides. I'm icing now to reduce inflammation. If my knee feels NORMAL tomorrow, this is really good. If it hurts but less than today, it is still really good. If it hurts worse tomorrow, then, that's not good, but I'll cross that bridge if it shows up tomorrow.

Healing takes a long time. A lot longer than doctors say. I need to be more patient (pun intended) and keep working to build strength and not freak out.

(updated to add: Today, I took pictures pointing to where it hurts. It doesn't HURT hurt, it feels "hot" inside. I've been trying to think of how to describe it and hot and a little "intense" is how I can best describe it. Yesterday, I asked her if she thought it was my meniscus and she said, no, it would hurt "HERE." Today, it is hurting where she pointed, but I don't know if that's because I am very suggestible or if it truly hurt there. I don't remember it hurting "there" on a sustained basis before. I am very suggestible.)

1 comment:

Lola Granola said...

You ARE very suggestable--hope that's all there is to it!